Saturday, May 13, 2000

Victoria, BC

After a good night’s sleep I rang the Dublin household and spoke to Kern, Marbs and Regs, but I will call back later as they are having a party this evening and more people are due to arrive soon.

I went to a café for breakfast, the same as yesterdays, to work out what to do for the day. It was decided that I’d go to the Royal British Columbia Museum, between the Empress Hotel and the Parliament. And I am so glad I did. Started in the gallery titled “Out Of The Mist” – which provided heaps of the Pacific Northwest Indian art that I love. Unfortunately there is no book that I can find to buy with a good showing of this art. Once again I couldn’t get enough of this art – would love to have a tattoo of it (who knows – one day).

Next was the Natural History Gallery, which gives an indication of what does, and has, lived in the area over the past millions of years. There is also a small exhibit within this one, which is about the ocean. On the next floor was the First People’s Gallery – which showed the history of Native Indians and the effect on them because of the settlement of Europeans. More art and totem poles and a history that seems not dissimilar from the Aboriginies at home. The last exhibit was a Modern History of Canada – from early European settlements onwards. This I whipped through quickly and didn’t really take an interest in.

Just outside the museum is Thunderbird Park. In the park are around fifteen totem poles, which provided me with plenty of photo opportunities.

Thunderbird Park, Victoria, British Columbia

Mungo Martin House, Victoria, British Columbia

I found a phone booth and called the Dublin house again. Things were in full swing and everyone sounded like they were into it. I got to speak to Kern, Luvo, Roberta, JJ, Karla and Bert. It made me wish I were there. It was good to speak to them and I am looking forward to seeing them soon. However, I still have a lot to see in North America.

I don’t know where the day went, but I didn’t get back to the hostel until 6pm. I found a cheap, but average, pizza place around the corner for dinner and then hung out until it got dark.

At 9pm, armed with my camera, I headed out into the streets. Parliament House is beautifully lit; so I go a bit snap happy. I stopped on the way home to watch a busker, who has the crowd enthralled, and get roped into collecting money for him when he throws me his hat at the end of the performance. I got back to the hostel just after 11pm and went straight to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment