Wednesday, May 17, 2000

Vancouver, BC

The weather is a bit gloomy this morning, and a late start sees me leave the hostel at ten. I had breakfast at Denny’s after finding out there were no cars available for me from Autodriveaway here in Vancouver (I was hoping to be able to drive to San Diego). 

I walked downtown to the British Embassy in order to see if there is any way possible that Amy can get a visa to work in the UK, but this looks more difficult than I expected. Hopefully she can find work beforehand and get a sponsorship. 

Near the embassy is the Skytrain (monorail), which goes out to the main train / bus station. I go out there and see what the deal is about the possibility of getting to San Diego. Amtrak seems difficult and Greyhound will be a two-day trip. I decide I’ll go back to Seattle and see what I can do from there. 

I caught the Skytrain back to Burrard St and went into the Vancouver Art Museum. Expecting lots of Native Indian art, I was disappointed when I found none. What I did find, though, was as follows; an exhibition entitled “Mirror’s Edge” which was contemporary art that was also interactive eg the labyrinth covered in brown paper and bubble wrap that you could write on; a permanent collection of works by Emily Carr, who resided in Victoria and had a fascination for Indian culture. Not only were there her paintings, but also a biography of her. 

After the gallery I headed back to the hostel. 


At 8pm I went out to grab some dinner and then walk down to the Commodore Ballroom to see The Melvins. I ran into Dave again and a mate of his, Mick, so hung out and had a few drinks with them. The Melvins were awesome. They played two sets (45 & 90 minutes) and totally rocked. The only two songs that I knew were covers, Tequila and Smells Like Teen Spirit - allegedly with Leif Garrett but it could've been anyone - but the rest of the set was amazing regardless (though I wish they had of played Honeybucket and Lizzy). It was hard to sleep afterwards with my ears buzzing and being fully pumped. Luckily I’ve got nothing to do tomorrow.

The Crap Facts
This is my 186th concert.
Commodore Ballroom is the 48th venue I've seen a concert in.
Vancouver is the 35th city I've seen a concert in.
British Columbia is the 5th state I've seen a concert in.
Canada is the 4th country I've seen a concert in.
This is my 2nd Melvins concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment