Wednesday, May 3, 2000

Portland, OR

Amy called this morning to say she was working from home and wanted to know if I wanted to hang out. She lives only 5 blocks from the hostel, so I walked over there for the morning. She drove me up to Washington Park where we had lunch surrounded by the beautiful rose gardens. We then drove around the north east of the city, as Amy had do some work in this area.

Amy & I @ Washington Park, Portland, OR

She dropped me downtown so I could do some more sightseeing, which I did until 4pm. I headed back to the hostel as to tidy up as Amy and I are off to the movies tonight.

Two blocks from the hostel is the Mission Theatre that is showing Being John Malkovich for $2. The theatre is an old time classic, and a sight in itself – with its own bar, balcony area, where you could be waited on, and piano (I felt like we should have been watching an old silent movie). The movie was bizarre but hilarious, who could’ve ever come up with a concept like that – it has been a long time since I’ve seen a movie this original. All of this and great company as well.

Because Amy is a Southerner (North Carolina) she insisted that I had to have barbeque. We drove all around northeast Portland until we found Yam Yams – a barbeque diner, where we ate ribs, fried ochre, red beans and sweet potato pie. I ate enough to do me a lifetime and there was still plenty left over. Over the last 2 days I have enjoyed the real American eating experience (mac and cheese yesterday, barbeque tonight). We drove around and talked till late, when Amy dropped me off at the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment