Monday, May 15, 2000

Vancouver, BC

I walked straight down to the harbor this morning to see if everything looks as perfect as what it does from a distance. Unfortunately this is not the case, as both sides of the harbor are lined with numerous industrial ports, which are an eyesore on what could compete with Sydney’s harbor.

I took photos regardless, and then headed to the Harbor Center TowerVancouver’s tallest building – which gives a panoramic view of the city. It also gives you a general idea of how far away each of the mapped sights are. I ride up and down in a glass elevator, which is a new scare / thrill.

Northwest Vancouver From Harbor Center Tower

I had lunch just under the tower before walking over to Chinatown. While I was there I was going to go to the Dr Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden. It seemed to be split in two. The larger section was free, so obviously in I went. I wasn’t very impressed and skipped the second area.

I continued through Chinatown, into Gastown – Vancouver’s Rocks. This old part of town is full of cafes and tourist shops, and not really much else.

Vancouver Harborside

Earlier in the day I had picked up a brochure for bike rental at the tourist information, so I walked across town to the edge of Stanley Park and hired a pushy. There is a track that runs around the edge of this thousand-acre park, which I rode around. The track takes you around the harbor’s edge, under Lion’s Gate Bridge, out to English Bay and all the way along False Creek before it turns to the south side of False Creek and continues, seemingly, forever. I turned back at the Maritime Museum and headed back over Burrard Bridge. By the time I’d finished I’d covered about 20 kilometers. I took the bike back and tenderly walked home.

Totem Poles In Stanley Park

Bottom Of Totem Pole @ Stanley Park

Lion's Gate Bridge, Vancouver, BC

On the way back to the hostel I stopped for dinner and checked emails.

Once I got back to the hostel I met David (from England), who I’m sharing a room with. We went down to the Fox & Firken on Davie Street for a couple of beers, ending the night not long after 10pm. When we got back to the room we stayed up and talked for hours with our other roommate Philippe (from Quebec).

No comments:

Post a Comment