Saturday, May 6, 2000

Port Townsend, WA to Seattle, WA

We left Port Townsend at 10am this morning and headed to Port Angeles, about 50 miles west of where we are. We arrive at midday and while Matt has his meeting, I’m left to my own devices. The first thing I did was call Amy. How is it after knowing her for less than a week, and leaving her only 2 days ago, I pine for her like nothing else? (Rhetorical – as I already know the answer). We spoke for an hour and would’ve kept going except there were other people wanting to use the phone. The other hour was spent floating around Port Angeles – up and down the main the main street and down by the harbor (a couple of photos for the memory).

I met up with Matt again at 2pm and we headed off to Seattle. To do so we drove back to Port Townsend to catch a ferry across to Keystone (half an hour). We then drove half an hour to Clinton, where another quick ferry got us to Mukilteo. From there it’s an hour’s drive south down the I-5 to Seattle. We got to the hostel at 6pm.

I got everything settled before having a quick bite to eat and deciding on what to do.

We decided to chance our luck and see if we could get tickets to the Violent Femmes at the Moore Theatre . We got tickets from the box office, for about a third of the price as what you would pay in Oz, general admission, walked in, and found seats in the row behind the dance floor – incredible. We got there half way through the support act, El Destroyo, and at 9pm the Femmes came on stage. They started off playing oldschool (“Promise”, “Black Girls” and “Blister In The Sun”, etc for which the crowd went apeshit) for about 40 minutes. Then they played some stuff I didn’t know – I assumed it is from their new album “Freak Magnet”. The band seemed a lot more enthused during the second half of the set, and when the band was joined by the singer’s brother and sister the band looked really ready to rock. Once they played “Old Mother Reagan” both crowd and band were fully pumped. The last part of the gig saw a mix of new and old stuff, which the crowd lapped up. “American Music”, “Add It Up”, “Gone Daddy Gone” and “Freak Magnet”. The band played for 2 hours before doing “Kiss Off” as their encore. I am so glad we went. All that from about five metres away from the band. Went back to the hostel buzzing.

Violent Femmes Setlist The Moore Theatre, Seattle, WA, USA 2000

The Crap Facts
This is my 184th concert.
Moore Theater is the 46th venue I've seen a concert in.
Seattle is the 34th city I've seen a concert in.
Washington is the 5th state I've seen a concert in.
The USA is the 3rd country I've seen a concert in.
El Destroyo are the 243rd band I've seen in.
This is my 4th Violent Femmes concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment