Thursday, May 11, 2000

Seattle, WA to Victoria, BC, Canada

I was up at the crack of dawn this morning to get to Pier 69 to catch my ferry to Victoria. It’s another cloudy day, and while I originally wanted to sit outside, it was way too cold to do so. I sat with 2 couples from Chicago who were heading to Victoria for day trip. They were good company for the journey, as the predicted spectacular views were cut short because of the inclement weather.

Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC From The Ferry

The boat arrived at 11am and once again I was singled out by customs (at least they were friendly), but maybe I need an image overhaul.

The hostel is a pleasant twenty-minute walk around the harbor, and as soon as I checked in and found my room, I was out again exploring this town. Victoria is a lot bigger than I expected (I was thinking along the lines of Port Townsend again), but what am I to know. I stuck pretty much to the shopping area, just walking east to west and then north to south along about ten streets. The Canadian dollar is a lot more favorable for the traveling Aussie, so I went all out on a nice Chinese lunch. After lunch I crossed the bridge and followed the path along the harbourside – just taking in the view.

By the time I got back to the hostel it was 5pm. I was going to take it easy for the night, and it took all of about 2 minutes to fall in to an hour’s snooze.

I got some dinner and then headed up to the cinema to see Gladiator. This is a great movie. The best part being how Rome would have looked in all its glory (I so badly want to go back). The movie went for 3 hours but it was so good you didn’t even notice.

When I got back to the hostel I checked my emails and had another marathon phone call with Amy. She leaves for Italy on Saturday, so tomorrow will be the last time I talk to her before I see her in person.

The hostel room is the biggest I have ever seen. 48 beds (but broken up into sections of 8).

No comments:

Post a Comment