Monday, May 8, 2000

Seattle, WA

Because of the snorers in the room, I didn’t sleep well again last night. I’ll have to get me some earplugs today.

I walked down to the Seattle Art Museum, but it was closed for the day, so instead I went back to the waterfront. Today is more like I expected Seattle to be weather wise ie wet, dreary and not chance of it clearing up. At the waterfront I went to the Aquarium. The Aquarium displays the wildlife of Puget Sound, as well as displays on coral reefs. The highlight of the aquarium was seeing a baby sea otter. Not only had I not seen one before, but also the baby was only 2 weeks old. Its interaction with its mother kept the crowds entertained for hours.

When I came out of the aquarium the Imax next door was playing a movie about Egypt. Because Egypt is one of the places I desperately want to go to, I went in to watch. It was a good movie, with some awesome scenery, which has fuelled my desire to get there as soon as possible.

From the Imax I walked through the city, stopping at Pike Place for a cinnamon doughnut lunch, taking my time, up to the Pacific Science Centre (next to the Space Needle). My city pass ticket included another Imax film, which I went into straight away. This film was a documentary about dolphins, and a good one at that. A lot of the filming was done in the Bahamas, and with only 4 weeks until I’m there I now have a taste for it. Once the film was over I wandered around the Science Centre. It had exhibits on dinosaurs, the body – which tested my weight (OK), strength (good), heart attack and cancer risk (average?!?) and heart rates, stress levels and cholesterol (all OK but could be better), and technology. All up I was there near on 3 hours.

Once again I walked back through the city, to the camera store to pick up some copies of photos from yesterday’s film, and back to the hostel. Rang Amy and spoke to her for 45 minutes. It’s only been 4 days since I left (and 9 since I met her) but I miss her like crazy. I am now planning on going back to Portland once Amy gets back from her trip to Italy, and before I go to the Bahamas.


2 blocks from the Seattle Youth Hostel is the Showbox Theatre and tonight the Rollins Band played.

The support band was an English band called Apartment 26, who are best described as heavy/electro/rock. I thought they were all right, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to see them again.

Rollins Band came on at 10 and were on fire. Henry takes his rock very seriously and intensely. It is hard to see him with that intensity after seeing how funny he is with his spoken word performances. Because the band had a new line up, they only played one old song, “Tearing”. The rest was stuff off Get Some Go Again, the latest album. This was a minor setback, but not enough to mar an awesome show. Bought a tshirt that became my Seattle souvenir.



The Crap Facts
This is my 185th concert.
The Showbox is the 47th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 2nd concert in Seattle.
This is my 2nd concert in Washington.
This is my 2nd concert in the USA.
Apartment 26 are the 244th band I've seen.
This is my 4th Rollins Band concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment