Tuesday, May 16, 2000

Vancouver, BC

Yet another glorious day. I was going to go to Capilano Bridge today, but Philippe recommended Lynn Canyon instead, as it has a suspension bridge and hiking trails. So I walked down to the harbor and caught the Seabus across to North Vancouver. From here I caught the bus up to Lynn Canyon. This is like a National Park, with an absolutely beautiful river running through it. At the park’s entrance is the Suspension Bridge. Fifty metres below the river is at its raging best. The bridge is only 75 metres long, but there was no way in the world that I was going to stop for too long. On the other side I start following the trail south. The area around is similar to a rainforest, which is evident by the muddy trail along the way. I walked to Twin Falls Bridge and stop for the view, and then kept walking south until the river starts to bend. At this point I stopped again, and just to soak in how fantastic the surroundings are. I’d walked for an hour and a half and turned back toward Twin Falls Bridge, which I crossed, and continued on the higher, western side of the river’s bank. This track leads back to the park’s entrance. There is another trail heading north, which I walk along. I took so many photos, but every time I take one there is a better opportunity only 10 meters ahead. The trail crosses the river, where there are some gas pipelines at the park’s northern most point. I have lunch at a general store here and call home. Back in the park I continue on the trail (now heading back south). After 3 hours total I am back at the suspension bridge, and have to cross it again. Shit! I did so as quickly as possible.

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, North Vancouver, BC

Me @ Lynn Canyon, North Vancouver, BC

Lynn Canyon

I left the park and caught the bus back to Lonsdale Quays. It was here that I decided to go to Grouse Mountain. The bus up to the mountain took about half an hour, and once there I paid for the Skyride to the top of the 1100 meter mountain. The view on the way up was spectacular – with the day so clear, you could see so far – even the mountains on Vancouver Island. At the top it was the same, except I was now surrounded by snow. I walked around the top of the mountain and looked at the various ski runs, which to me looked like they were ready to filled, but obviously not good enough for the locals as there was no one near the slopes and the chairlifts not even running. The ride down at 6pm was pleasant, as was the feel of the sun, still 3 hours from setting.

Skyride Up Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, BC

View Of Vancouver From Grouse Mountain

Once at the bottom, I caught the bus back to the Quays and then a ferry back to the city, and walked back to the hostel. When I got there I caught up with David and we went for fish and chips for dinner, just on Davie Street. When we got back to the hostel, Philippe was there and we sat around catching up on the day’s events before both of them headed out on dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment