Tuesday, June 6, 2000

Harbour Island, Bahamas

Went for a quick walk around the island in search of a phone, but to no avail. Apparently there is one near the Community Center that I’ll have to find later.

Checked out of my room at 11am and decided to hire a golf buggy for the afternoon to get a look around. The hotel let me leave my bag and camera behind while I drove around. Basically I drove all over the island checking out everything and looking for Cousin Suze’s place, Hibiscus Hill. The island was small enough that it only took 45 minutes to cover everything except a few dirt roads, which I didn’t think the cart could handle. I couldn’t find the house, so it must be off the beaten track.

I took the cart down past the school to the beach. Unbelievable! If possible I think the water here is clearer and more beautiful than the Whitsunday’s. I went in for a swim and then I laid on the beach – to see if I could drop down from bright white to light white. When it started getting cloudy, I went in search of lunch. I stopped at the Daiquiri Bar and had a meal there before continuing on my travels around the island.

I sat down by the harbor for a while and a storm kicked in, so I had no option but to sit in the cart to keep somewhat dry.

After the storm I did one more lap of the island before returning the cart to the hotel. I had to pick up my luggage as the office was closing in 15 minutes. I walked down to the harbor again and sat and waited for Reggae, Marie and Suze to arrive.

Regs & Marbs In The Bahamas

It was only an hour before they arrived and we caught the cab up to the house. Oh my God! You’ve got to see this place to believe it. The guesthouse of Hibiscus Hill is a 2 storey Gone-With-The-Wind looking house. This was topped off with a hammock out the front. From the top balcony you can see the beach in the east and the bay in the west. I’d even go as far as to say that it is nicer than the main house.

We are met by Cousin Suze and spend the next hour just in awe of our accommodation. Once we settled in, we went and met David and India (our hosts). Once Suze has finished work, time is spent with the 4 of us catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment