Monday, June 5, 2000

Miami, FL to Harbour Island, Bahamas

Up in time to get ready and catch the buses back out to the airport. Once again, today is hot and extremely humid. I got to the airport with plenty of time to spare, checked in and made the most of the air conditioning.

The flight was on a small airplane – seating about 30 people – and took about an hour to get to Governor’s Harbor on Eleuthra Island. We had to get out here and go through customs before re-boarding our plane for the 10 minute flight to North Eleuthra. Once there, a cab took me to the pier, where I got a boat with 4 others for the 15 minute crossing to Harbour Island. Another 2 minute cab ride took me to Royal Palm Hotel, where I am booked for the night. For some unknown reason I have been upgraded to a deluxe room, which puts me in a cottage down the road. The place was a small 1 bedroom place with air conditioning in the bedroom. Thank Christ! It is so hot and humid here that breathing makes you sweat.

I head out for a wander around the island with camera in hand. I walked through all the beautiful, small houses along the bay on the western side of the island and along the beach on the east. The beach is awesome, the finest sand, the clearest water and a perfect temperature. Can’t wait for a swim tomorrow.

Got back to the cottage at 7pm after picking up some nibblies for dinner. Had the door open and all the fans on full blast, as I put the television on and watched the sunset, rainfall and darkness arrive. Am in the Bahamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment