Wednesday, June 28, 2000

Denver, CO

A big walking day today. I started off by trying to find out where I’ll be able to get a bus to Boulder for tomorrow. On the way I passed a tourist office where I encountered John – the friendliest person in Denver. I wish I had come here the first day, as John was willing to tell me about everything.

The bus stop is nearby, and from there I continue out to the aquarium, Colorado’s Ocean Journey. This place is huge, and well worth the 45 minute walk. The first part of the aquarium simulates the rainforests of Asia. Included in the display are 2 tigers, which are active and entertaining for the crowd. The constant mist spray from the roof gives the feeling of being in the tropical jungle. They also have an awesome aquarium with a variety of sharks and fish. It is in a half dome, meaning you can see the animals swim above you. Glass holes in the floor also let you have the eerie experience of sharks swimming underneath you. There are heaps of volunteers happy to help you and answer questions. The last exhibit is 2 sea otters, which aren’t doing much for anyone today. I walked back downtown via the pathway along Cherry Creek, go through the trendy Lobo area (Larimer and Writers Square) and have a late-ish lunch at a takeaway place in 16th Street Mall.

The next place I went to was the Molly Brown House. Molly Brown was a survivor, and heroine, from the Titanic, whose wealth was gained through her husband’s mining activities in Colorado. Later in life she was an unsuccessful political candidate and active in the pursuit of women’s rights. Her role in the Titanic came from helping migrants who’d lost everything. The Unsinkable Molly Brown was fluent in 5 languages. The house (which has had 5 owners since) was purchased by Denver’s Historical Society and refurbished as close as possible to how the Brown’s had it. Many pieces of furniture and some fixtures were originals. The half hour tour took us through the 14 room house and gave details of how the house was used by Mrs Brown, her to-be ex-husband and 2 children.  During the tour I felt ill and headed back to the hostel to rest.

At 9pm I walked down towards Coors Field and stopped at 22nd Street Bar and Grill for dinner and a few beers. This newly opened bar was quiet i.e., 3 other people in the 2 storey bar – but got chatting to the owner and bartender and stayed for hours. Once back in the hostel I called Amy and spoke forever, as well as calling her friend, Jen, who lives in Boulder (45 minutes north) who is kindly letting me stay with her from tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment