Tuesday, June 27, 2000

Denver, CO

I made my way downtown again today to see what is on the cards.

First stop is the Denver Art Museum. To get to this I had to walk between 2 of Denver’s nicer buildings – the State Capital and the Court House. The museum is a 7 storey castle / jail-like building in the north west of downtown. It is different than most art galleries, it was explained, as space is obtained from the buildings height. Most galleries are 3 stories at their tallest. I took a guided tour with a small group, which detailed a selection of paintings and sculptures. I loved this as it explained the aspects that, as a novice, I would never perceive. The highlights of the tour included; a sculpture of an Indian and horse called “The Cheyenne”, by American Frederic Remington; a sand sculpture that represents a prayer that was created on site by Tibetan Monks; and a carved wooden doorway that had been purchased in India and pieced together by the curator of the museum. When I was on my own I spent most of my time on the floor containing modern and contemporary art and (of course my favorite) the floor pertaining to native northwest art – more totems, masks and ask art for me to appreciate.

Denver Court House

Colorado State Parliament, Denver

Denver Art Museum

Statue @ Civic Center, Denver

After the art museum I walked the 2 blocks over to the Denver Mint. I had to wait in line for over an hour and a half, to get the extremely average 20 minute tour through the place. We were so far from the production it was like watching a video, and the commentary didn’t explain too much (but it was free).

It was near on 4pm once I’d left there, so I walked back to the hostel via Kinko’s. Spoke to Amy on the phone and then spent most of the night talking with my roommates, Lonnie from Durango and some guy from Pueblo. The baseball is on down the road, but I’d prefer to wait until Amy and I go in Atlanta in August to get my first baseball experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment