Thursday, July 6, 2000

Salt Lake City, UT

I got up this morning and walked up the hill to the State Capital. This great building looks south over Salt Lake City, and although the view is a little hazy, there are plenty of good photos to be taken. I went inside and joined one of the guided tours, which gave a history of both the city and the building. I had a wander around on my own afterwards to take some more snaps.

Utah State Capital, Salt Lake City, UT

Inside Utah State Capital, Salt Lake City, UT

I left there and went down the hill to Hansen’s Planetarium. The entry to this museum was also free and, amazingly, there was no one inside. The small museum had plenty of lunar artifacts, as it seems Salt Lake City provides plenty of support to such programs.

From here I walked over to Temple Square – the home of the Mormons. In the square we were given a guided tour of the building as well as a rundown of the Mormon belief. The main temple was being renovated so we couldn’t go in. But we (the group I was with) did see the Tabernacle, which is where a large organ (11,000 pipes) is situated and where the famous choir performs nightly. We also went into the tourism / visitor center, which had a statue of Jesus and many religious paintings. Also, I went into the Assembly Hall, which is basically a small church.

Mormon Temple, Salt Lake City, UT

Assembly Hall @ Temple Square, Salt Lake City, UT

Tabernacle Organ @ Temple Square, Salt Lake City, UT

Afterwards I went to the Crossroads Mall for a late lunch / early dinner, before heading back to the hostel. I made my nightly call to Amy before hanging out with Chris and Alexandra (also from Switzerland) on the steps – chatting away.

No comments:

Post a Comment