Tuesday, September 22, 1998

Pitlochry, Scotland to Inverness, Scotland

I got up at nine am to see what looked like a typical Scottish day – fog and mist and not a hint of the sun.

I walked down to Pitlochry Dam to sit down and write in my diary, when I ran into Adam, Andy & Catherine. I joined them for a walk around the lake, which headed north for about two kilometers, before crossing a footbridge and turning back.

We arrived at the hostel with about half an hour to spare before the bus came to pick us up, giving us enough time to have some breakfast. By this time the fog had lifted and once again it had turned into a glorious day.

The bus took us to Inverness, with a stop in Aviemore to pick up a couple more people.

In Inverness we decided to stay at Bazpackers, which was fairly close to the center of town. We checked in and headed to the tourist info to see what we could get up to. We ended up booking a bus and ferry trip for tomorrow morning for the four of us to go to Loch Ness.

We then went for lunch before I headed off on my own. I walked through the shopping district and then down to the river, where I sat in the sun for a while reading the paper. After this I went for a wander along the river, heading west, until I came to a footbridge, which I crossed and walked back on the northern side of the river.

The walk took me back to the hostel an hour and a half later – just in time to head next door to the Harlequin Bar for happy hour. Everyone from today’s bus was there – Adam, Andy, Catherine, Jenn & Matt from Brisbane, Patrick from Perth, Joan from Canada and Bernice & Daniela from Perth. We had a good night and left just on closing time. I shared a room with Adam, Andy and Catherine in a small but relatively cheap room.

No comments:

Post a Comment