Monday, September 28, 1998

Oban, Scotland

I had planned to go to the Isle of Lismore today, but found out that the ferries don’t run on Mondays. I was also too late to get to the ferry across to Kerrera, where there is a monument on the point called the Hutcheson Memorial, that I wanted to see.

What I did instead was take a walk around Oban. I headed north to the War Memorial and then beyond to Dunollie Castle. This semi-ruined, grass-covered castle is owned by the McDougall clan, and was built about 685. The castle has been in its abandoned state since the late 17th century.

From below the castle I walked out to a point, which looked across to the lighthouse at the entrance to the bay.

I sat there for a while watching fishing boats come in and out before continuing north along Corran Esplanade. The walk took me along the water’s edge, past farms and two villages before coming to a camping ground at the end of the road, leaving me with only one option – turn around and come back.

I did so, walking back through town, past the train station to the foot of Pulpit Hill. I climbed the hill and got a great view over both the town and the harbor.

When I came down from there, I walked along Gallanach Road, south of the city, along the water. There was nothing along here to really talk about, but the view was nice. Once again, I came to the end, and headed back to town.

When I arrived back, I grabbed some take-away for a late lunch / early dinner and went to McCaig’s Tower again to eat, and then sit and read from the highest point in town.

I met up with everyone again at the hostel and we decided to go bowling tonight. The bowling alley was over near the train station, so we walked over and each had three games and a few beers.

Afterwards we headed to McCaig’s Tower, again, to get some night photos, as the tower and town are well lit. We didn’t stay long, as it was too cold and I’d done enough for one day to last me a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment