Saturday, September 26, 1998

Isle Of Skye, Scotland to Oban, Scotland

I left Kyleakin at 8.30 am, bound for Glencoe. The Haggis bus made two stops first – at Ben Nevis and Fort William – to drop off and pick up other passengers. On the way I got my first sight of rain since arriving in Scotland, but it only lasted five minutes.

We arrived at Glencoe, to find the only thing to do was go for a hike. That, coupled with the fact that the youth hostel was fully booked, helped me decide to head onto the next stop – Oban. I checked in for three nights, and set about for a walk around town.

Oban is a smallish fishing village that happens to be having a seafood fair this weekend.

I walked through the main street of town and to the tourist office to find out what I can do for the next couple of days. I then walked up the hill to McCaig’s Tower. This was a tower built by a local banker in the late 1800’s in a style similar to that of the Colosseum in Rome. His vision was to have a statue of a family member in each arch, but it never came to fruition. I ended up sitting up there for an hour, reading and listening to my Walkman.

Oban from Pulpit Hill, Scotland

I eventually came back to the hostel when it started getting too cold.

I was going to spend the night in at the hostel (they have an open fireplace) but Kathy suggested going to the movies, which was only a couple minutes’ walk from the hostel. We went and saw The Gingerbread Man in a cinema that makes the loungeroom at the Entrance look like the MCG. The movie was alright, but nothing to rave about.

Afterwards we took a walk along the water’s edge to a War Memorial, before heading back to the warmth of the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment