Thursday, August 31, 2000

New York, NY

I was up early to make my way down to the Statue of Liberty Ferry, though not as early as I’d like as only the first ferry of the day gets to climb the statue to the crown.  Unfortunately that was not me.  I walked the whole island and climbed to her feet.  I took a heap of photos of her and the Manhattan skyline. 
Statue Of Liberty, New York

I took the ferry back to Manhattan, then a subway to the Natural History Museum and the Rose Science Center (again part of that City Pass).  These museums did not hold much interest for me and I got through them relatively quickly. 

Manhattan Skyline, New York

Afterwards I wandered aimlessly around the 70th – 79th Street areas.  Just looking around and taking in some of the local buildings. 

I went to the hostel, where I met up with Paul (a Dutch guy staying in the room).  We caught the subway to the World Trade Center (the tallest buildings in New York).  We went to the observation deck for an awesome night time view of the city before making the mistake of going on to the roof, where I almost shat myself.  My fear of heights is well known, but this is the worst it had ever been.  You ride up and escalator onto the roof and the only way to get back down is to walk along a perimeter (which seemed miles to me) to an escalator down.  I’m glad to say I’ve done it, but I would never do it again.  I was more than happy to be back on the ground.  With adrenaline overflowing, it was back to the hostel after this for my last night in the USA.

Times Square, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment