Wednesday, August 30, 2000

New York, NY

This morning I took a quick bus ride over to the Guggenheim Museum.  This is a beautifully designed museum that is spiral shaped.  Inside the museum the spiral walkway allows you to see everything from top to bottom.  My favorite parts are the models of the sister museums, The Bilbao Guggenheim and the plan for the new museum in New York, on the lower eastern riverfront. 

Guggenheim Museum, New York

From there I caught the subway down to the World Trade Center to try and get half price tickets to a show – any show, I’m in New York – but they only have tickets for the following day, and I am trying to go sometime today.  So I walked back to Times Square to the TKTS booth where the line for tickets was huge.  I took the option of walking to different theaters to see what I could do there.  There was a ton of shows I wanted to see eg Saturday Night Fever, Jekyll & Hyde, Chicago, Cats etc, but I settled on Swing at The Theater – a $20 ticket in the last row for the matinee.  I ducked into McDonalds in Times Square for a quick lunch before getting back to the show.  As a single, because the theater wasn’t full, I got upgraded to an $80 seat (Woo Hoo!).  The show was awesome!  There was no real story, but a live band (on stage, not in an orchestra pit) and dancers bringing great swing music to life.  Not one of the bigger Broadway shows, but I’m very glad I chose it. 


After the show I was back on the subway to Lower Manhattan to view the Statue of Liberty from a distance.  It was too late to catch the ferry over, yet I was right next to the Staten Island Ferry, but not realizing it was free and would’ve given me a closer view, I did not get on it.  I will be back tomorrow to get a closer look.  I was on the verge of another migraine and my hernia was giving me some grief so I headed back to the hostel at 6pm and stayed in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment