Saturday, October 7, 2023

Joelle Jacobs & The Enthusiasts @ Backyard at the Stonehaven

So Mike has recently worked with a friend of his, Joelle, to produce an album.  He was really excited not only to do it, but the finished product as well.  From it, Joelle put together a band, which included Mike as well as Ripley's dad, Matt.  Unfortunately, with Matt's devastating and untimely passing in January, the band has been in limbo.  But this all changed this evening for their first ever performance of Joelle's music.  In a friend's backyard, on a little deck off a man-cave, the band set up, while friends and family bought lawn chairs and filled the backyard.

We hung with Cam and Sanders, as the band waited for the guests of honor to arrive.  Nicole, Sadie, Ripley and Clifton showed up at 8.  I've seen the family at soccer twice a week since March and still can't help get emotional when I see them (the Flaming Lips was a personal disaster).  Nicole's strength is limitless, I sometimes feel like she is handling this better than everyone else combined.  Those kids are definitely in good hands.

Mike had played me a couple of Joelle's songs, and they filled out really well with a full band (guitar, keyboard, bass and drums).  All the songs were great, and Joelle's voice was similar to that of Delores O'Riordan of the Cranberries, as featured in a cover of Linger they did later in the set.  We also got a cover of The Cure's Lovesong.

I know Mike wants this album to become something and I hope they get to play this music to a wider audience than just friends in a backyard.  Time will tell.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 496th concert.
Backyard at The Stonehaven is the 137th venue I've seen a concert at.
This is my 103rd concert in Charlotte.
This is my 123rd concert in North Carolina.
This is my 297th concert in the USA.
Joelle Jacobs & The Enthusiasts are the 573rd band I've seen

No comments:

Post a Comment