Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Mudhoney & Hooveriii @ Grey Eagle


46 and a half years ago my mum and aunt gave me my first taste of live music.  It was a 4th birthday present to see Abba.  I remember nothing of the concert, except for wearing my Abba socks, dancing on the seat and leaving straight away at the end becasue I was scared of the fireworks.  Regardless, it was the start of a love affair with live music leading up to tonight....driving 2 and a bit hours up to Asheville to see the great Mudhoney for the 5th time, and my 500th concert.

The boys are now old enough to head out on Halloween on their own, so while I was sad that I am becoming redundant as a dad, going to a show sure made me forget.

Hooveriii had already started their set by the time I got to the Grey Eagle.  A good size crowd (the biggest I'd seen here) were getting into it.  The band were having fun, and although I didn't know any of their stuff, I thought it was a great set.  But for me they suffered the wrath of me just wanting to see Muhoney.

Hooveriii Setlist

Not long after 9.15, Mudhoney made their way onto stage in front of pretty much a full house.  Quietly they built up to When Tomorrow Hits beofre taking off into In n Out of Grace.  You Got it was pretty early in the set and an absolute blast - a song I've loved for a long time.  It was the 1st time I'd heard Let it Slide live, which was a bonus and soon after was the mid set double Sweet Young Thing and Touch Me I'm Sick.   Touch Me may be my all time favourite song.  I remember hearing it on a Triple J Live at The Wireless a gazillion years ago and was taken right away.  It was the first song out of Seattle that I'd heard, and was to lead to many more.  It was the Claudette Colvin to Teen Spirit's Rosa Parks for my musical taste.  By the time the set was over, Mudhoney had ploughed through 24 great songs, walking off after Plasticity, off the new Plastic Eternity.  The band did a great job of playing new and old stuff, evenly distributed throughout the set.  The new stuff off Plastic Eternity like Flush The Fascists and Human Stock Capital are great.  Still there was more.  A five song encore that included Suck You Dry, Who You Drivin' Now and finishing the night with a monumental Here Comes Sickness.

On the way out, I picked out a shirt and a vinyl copy of Superfuzz Bigmuff.  A long, late drive back to Charlotte, but well worth the trip.  It's been 9 years since I last saw Mudhoney.  I definitely don't want to wait that long again.




The Crap Facts:
This is my 500th concert.
This is my 4th concert at The Grey Eagle.
This is my 14th concert in Asheville.
This is my 127th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 301st concert in the USA.
Hooveriii are the 577th band I've seen.
This is my 5th Mudhoney concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment