Thursday, October 12, 2023

Superchunk @ Neighborhood Theater


I don't really know Superchuck songs, but everytime I see them they put on a good show....and tonight was no exception.  There weren't as many people as I expected, I pictured a lot more UNC alums reliving their early 20's and having an unofficial reunion.  But it is a Thursday night, and those people (like me) are edging or passing 50, so......

Show started really well and the tempo was upped for For Tension.  Learned to Surf and Detroit Has A Skyline were other favorites in the first half of the set.  What I really loved is how much the band were into it.  You know they've played some of these songs endlessly over their 30 plus years, but each song is attacked with a fervour that makes you want to like the song and the band.  But for me it was all about the last song.  Slack Motherfucker.  With a chorus that should be everyone's anthem, Superchunk blitzed through this song as a finale to their main set.  It may be a song they need mid-set  because it unites every fan.  It almost seems like a different fun energy when this song comes on.  Another song worth the price of admission alone.  That energy did spill over into a rocking 5 song encore.  When Mac started talking about playing a cover, I was hoping his Saints t-shirt would be the influence, but the Misfits' Children In Heat was also a good choice.

I know I should know more Superchunk songs, but I feel like everytime I see them I am discovering how good and (to me) new they are.  It's a fine line, but I'm sure my Clambakes record will get a run in the next couple of days.

Superchunk Setlist

The Crap Facts:
This is my 497th concert.
This is my 10th concert at Neighborhood Theater.
This is my 104th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 124th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 298th concert in the USA.
This is my 4th Superchunk concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment