Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Chats, Cosmic Psychos, Schizophonics & Gymshorts at Orange Peel


Made the drive up to Asheville this afternoon for what I though were 3 very good reasons.  Turns out it was 4.  An early kick off meant I didn't stop to eat on the way up (after dropping the boys at a party at Top Golf) and I found my spot in the venue and only had to wait 10 minutes before Gymshorts hit the stage.  This band is great.  Rocking out and with a sense of humor well suited to the Psychos and the Chats.  I picked up on a few songs I liked - Date Kate Jones (You Can't), I'm The Jeff Gordon Of Our Generation and Zero Thanks Given.  A raucous half hour to start.


It was only 20 minutes before The Schizophonics then tornadoed up the stage, with a new bass player.  I saw this band at the Grey Eagle back in January on a whim (something I very rarely do nowadays).  And they blew my mind that night!  Tonight they did the same.  Pat Beers took his James Brown-Iggy-Pop-Tasmanian Devil inspired performance to expel so much energy he could have lit up half the planet.  I found myself so fixated watching him sometimes, you forget about the great sound the band has.  After half an hour I was exhausted, I can't imagine how the band felt.  It really was an all round great show.

Again a quick turn around before the Cosmic Psychos entered the stage.  I was surprised by hw many people know them.  I assumed their cult status stayed in Australia - not spread as for as North Carolina.  From the get go the Psychos had that great Aussie pub-rock/punk sound, and the sarcasm in their songs that went with it.  Pub and A Great Day To Go To The Pub were a perfect starter and Dea In A Ditch was a good near follower.  Crowd reacted well to Fuckwit City but it took the final song for things to get silly.  During an extended David Lee Roth, Asheville had the priveledge of see guitarist, Mad Macka, whip off the blue Bonds singlet and give a lesson in rock guitar....and beer belly dancing.  Moving away from Australia all thse years ago means it has been 26 years since I last saw the Cosmic Psychos (in a wild double header with the Melvins).  Definitely well worth the wait.


Cosmic Psychos @ Orange Peel, Asheville

Again minimal time was wasted before The Chats hit the stage.  I'd heard these guys were good.  Sunshine Coast boys, that Hayden said were great.  But I decided not to listen to any of their stuff before hand, and just take it all in for the first time live.  Instantly the packed Orange Peel was into it.  The Australian humor started with Nambored.  6L GTR was a rollicking song that put the crowd into overdrive (once again I was stunned by how well an Aussie band was known in North Carolina).  The Kids Need Guns was a little Aussie dig at the US.  Southport Superman and Heatstroke were 2 favorites mid set.  Near the end they were joined by Gymshorts Sarah Greenwell for a fun version of Heaps.  Smoko was definitely the song that the crowd new.  I wonder did the words translate?  I think the song is hilarious.  And Pub Feed to finish the night showed how a simple topic and some good hard rock make for a great song.


The Chats exceeded expetations, The Cosmic Psychos were as iconic as always, The Schizophonics blew me away for the 2nd time this year and Gymshorts put on a good show too.  All in all, a fantastic, well thought out line up.  I definitely want the opportunity to see these bands again.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 498th concert.
This is my 3rd concert at Orange Peel.
This is my 13th concert in Asheville.
This is my 125th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 299th concert in the USA.
Gymshorts are the 574th band I've seen.
This is my 2nd Schizophonics concert.
This is my 3rd Cosmic Psychos concert.
The Chats are the 575th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment