Tuesday, April 25, 2000

San Francisco, CA

Up the hill, behind the hostel, is Coit Tower. This tower is kind of shaped like a hose nozzle. San Francisco local eccentric, Lillie Hancock Coit, financed the 70-meter tall building in order to express her obsession with fire, and as a memorial to firefighters who worked endlessly during San Francisco’s earthquake in 1906.

Coit Tower, San Francisco

From here I walked across town to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Highlights include; a collection of modernist paintings by Matisse, Picasso, Miro and Tanguay: black and white photographs by an Austrian woman by the name of Germaine Krell – whose main focus was people and steel structures (interesting combination); and a retrospective of a local artist, Sol le Witt, whose work involved mainly squares and squiggles. (I know my description sounds basic, but it was fascinating work). For me though the best part of the museum was the two Dali paintings side by side. “Oedipus Complex” and “Unsatisfied Desires” are paintings that I have read about, so was overjoyed to actually see them.

After the museum I walked back to the hostel to transfer all my stuff to Naags’ place. We spent the afternoon with Andy and Ali, who had come around to play guitar, which they will be doing at a pre-wedding party this weekend.

Later in the night the four of us picked up Josh and Belinda and went to play basketball (I am so useless at that sport). Better still we went for a couple of beers at a local pub to celebrate Anzac Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment