Saturday, April 22, 2000

Las Vegas, NV

The Spooners are working today, but I have the car still, so I decide to drive out to the Hoover Dam, on the Nevada / Arizona border. I studied the dam in high school, so this was going to prove how much I remembered. It takes near an hour to get there from Vegas, through Boulder City (the city built specifically to house workers and their families who built the dam). Once I got there, I can’t believe the amount of people milling around. I park on the Arizona side. The Hoover Dam blocks the Colorado River and has created Lake Mead to the north. The lake sits in Boulder Canyon and on a beautiful day – like today – is full of people enjoying the water. You can walk across the top of the dam, which I did, taking many photos. From the Nevada side (the state line runs down the middle of the dam) you can take guided tours down inside, and to the bottom of, the dam – which I also did. The tour takes you to the bottom of the dam to give you a whole new perspective of this man made monument. After the tour finishes there is an exhibit and film about the construction process, which I wandered through. After a few more photos, I started making my way home. I’m so glad I drove out here even though I didn’t remember a lot of the school stuff; I learnt a whole lot more.

Hoover Dam from the bottom

The Hoover Dam

Lake Mead, Formed By Hoover Dam

Back Of The Hoover Dam

The downside to driving is that you can’t take in al the views, which is a shame – but a sacrifice for the convenience.

When I arrived back in Vegas, Dave was at the house (not needed at work) so we took the car back. While back at Thrifty I asked if they needed a car taken back to San Francisco. They do - so tomorrow I get a free car to take back to Naags’ instead of suffering the long bus trip back. Thrifty dropped us off at the Hard Rock, where Dave and I had dinner and a few drinks. When Melissa joined us we headed for another bar – The Double Down – where we played pool with friends of their, Stefan and Robbie, and a couple of local girls. We stumbled home at four-ish after another great night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment