Monday, October 5, 1998

London, England to Hong Kong, Hong Kong

This was it! I was continuously woken from 5.30 am as people wished me farewell before heading off to work.

I didn’t go anywhere this morning, just procrastinated about packing everything. It was only me and Luvo in the house until two pm, when he left after we’d had some lunch.

Finally, it came time for me to head to the station, but not without some drama. I closed the door behind me and then realized I didn’t know where my passport was (dickhead!). I frantically unpacked everything on the front step – but to no avail. My only hope was for a next-door neighbor to be home, and see if I can get in a back window. Fortunately, someone was and they supervised me jump the back fence. The back door was locked, as was the spare room, but the window near the fridge was open, so I climbed in. What a relief! I found the passport on the floor of the spare room and left in a hurry, pledging to call my first born after the neighbor.

I only waited five minutes at Streatham Hill for a train, and another was waiting for me at Victoria. A change at South Kensington was my last before the Heathrow Terminal.

I checked in with plenty of time to spare and wasn’t questioned about the excess three kilos on my baggage. I did, however, have my day pack checked in a random search. It’s one of those situations where you know you’ve done nothing wrong, but you can’t stop sweating and being nervous.

I had a good seat at the back of the plane with plenty of leg room and a chair that leant way back. I sat next to a guy, Dave from Leicester, who was a shoe manufacturer heading to Hong Kong on business. I watched The Truman Show, before a good night’s sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment