Tuesday, October 6, 1998

Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Bateau Bay, Australia

I woke up at 11.30 am Hong Kong time (4.30 am London) to be served breakfast. Although I slept well last night, I was awoken twice because of turbulence.

We arrived at the new Hong Kong Airport at 1.30 pm. I disembarked and went straight to my gate, where my flight left at seven pm. I sat in the waiting room, writing in my diary and reading until I could no longer keep my eyes open. I didn’t sleep more than an hour, but I felt great when I woke up.

It then seemed to take forever before we boarded. I am on one of those new planes that have a television in the back of every seat. I also have two seats to myself as the plane is only half full, which you would think is conducive to sleep. However, I stayed awake the whole trip. I watched Mercury Rising, then Godzilla on the inflight movie channel, before moving on to write more in my diary. There is also an on-board computer which monitors where you are on a map and can be displayed on the tv right in front of you. While it kept me amused, it made it feel like forever before we got home.

Wednesday 7 October 1998

It is now 4.53 am Sydney time, and we only have 953 kilometers to go (or an hour, 27 minutes). We’re just about to cross the New South Wales/Queensland border. I spend my time seeing familiar sights and reflecting on an amazing last five months. So close to home!

No comments:

Post a Comment