Friday, October 2, 1998

Edinburgh, Scotland to London, England

I left my backpack at the hostel to do a day’s sightseeing before heading back to London. First stop was the bus station to book on the 10.30 pm bus tonight. No problems there.

I went to the tourist office in order to plan my day. I started by getting on the Edinburgh Tour Bus, which takes you around the city allowing you to get off whenever, to look around. The bus started at the Walter Scott Monument, which couldn’t be seen due to restoration works (Scotland’s contribution to the growing European Scaffolding Plague). The bus went down to Prince Street (the main shopping street), and then into the old town.

My first stop was Edinburgh Castle. This 12th century castle is situated on an extinct volcano and gives great views over the city. There are numerous old buildings within the castle, and the free audio guide gave many insights into Edinburgh and the Castle’s history. Today the sight is used as headquarters for the Scottish Army, and also houses Scotland’s Crown Jewels.

After two hours in the castle, I got back on the bus, which headed down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Palace. This palace is used by the Queen when she visits Scotland. I walked around the outside of the grounds as it was too expensive to go in.

I got back on the bus and stayed with it as it drove around the new town, before stopping again in Princes Street. I got off here to go to the National Gallery. This gallery was filled with a variety of paintings by Scottish artists.

After walking around the gallery for a while I opted to wander around the streets, just looking around, it was 5.30 pm and most shops and sights were closed. I sat in Princes Street Gardens for a while, writing in my diary, before going for a baked potato for dinner.

I then went back to the Tron Hostel to get my stuff, before going to the bus station. The bus was half an hour late getting into Edinburgh, and was packed. I was squashed into my seat and tried desperately, to get some sleep, but was kept awake by pissed Newcastle supporters who didn’t shut up until they were threatened with removal by the bus driver. This was when we were in Leeds at 3.30 am, at which time everyone was ready to kill them. I slept on and off the rest of the way to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment