I didn't really want to see these 2 bands at the big amp, I thought they'd have been better off out our amp. Smaller, closer to the audience, But when the offered $25 lawn seats, I even talked the boys into coming with me.
We didn't make it in time to see Lydia Lunch, but I did run into Jeremy from work on our way in. He told us to check the VIP tent as they were giving free upgrades into sets. Of course we would. He had also put us on the VIP list so we could go into the private bar area, away from the crowds between sets. We checked that out, and then went to our new seats. We are now seated in the 2nd tier of seats, very central to the stage. And just before B52s started we were joined by Chris (Eric from soccer's dad). They had done the same thing as us, at a different time, and scored the seats next to us. Small world.
I thought the B52s were supposed to be the headliners, but apparently they have been rotating each night, and tonight they were on first. It has been 15 years since I saw the B52s kill it at Mandalay Bay (with Blondie), but this time didn't quite reach those heights. It was a slow start and not until Deadbeat Club did I start to see a change from the band and audience. Kate and Cindy's voices were as good as always, but Fred gave a vibe of not wanting to be there. I thought they had done the final tour last year, which is another reason to get out and see them while you can. But this show just didn't have the energy. Roam was great, but it wasn't until near the end when Love Shack kicked it up a notch. Everyone knows and loves that song. Even the boys, who up until this point were just placating their aging dad. It was cold, I don't blame them. Rock Lobster finished the set and it was as awesome as I remember. I love the sped up drum parts in certain spots, and lets face it, it's the most fun song. I tried to go and get a shirt, but the blue one I wanted only came in women's sizes, and the black version didn't have a XXL.
We got some food and were back in out seats for when Devo came on stage. I'll admit this suits me better. I'm more of a Devo fan. Chris was saying he only really knew one of their songs and they left not long after that. Girl U Want and Whip It came back to back early in the set and were great. This is the biggest stage I've seen Devo pay on, and been so far back. But they handle it really well. A quick break, and the band came out in their yellow outfits to rip through Uncontrollable Urge, and said uniforms. Jocko Homo lead into Smart Patrol/Mr DNA - this was probably my favorite song of the night. Devo finished with Gates Of Steel, before coming back for only one song. The excellent Freedom Of Choice.
Late October was a risky time to have an outdoor concert in Charlotte, and tonight it was cold. We were rugged up in jackets and beanies, but it will definitely have to be a line up as good as this to get me out here in this weather again. devo have yet to disappoint me live. The B52s may be closer tot he end of performing, but they still have a couple of songs to fire up a crowd.
Devo Setlist
The Crap Facts
The Crap Facts
This is my 536th concert.
This is my 6th concert at PNC Pavilion.
This is my 132nd concert in Charlotte.
This is my 157th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 336th concert in the USA.
This is my 2nd B52s concert.
This is my 6th concert at PNC Pavilion.
This is my 132nd concert in Charlotte.
This is my 157th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 336th concert in the USA.
This is my 2nd B52s concert.
This is my 4th Devo concert.


No comments:
Post a Comment