Thursday, October 16, 2025

Everclear, Local H & Sponge @ Neighborhood Theater


I have been excited for this show for a long time.  Tickets were secured the day they went on sale.  Everclear always put on a good show, and Local H know no other way.  

I got to the Neighborhood Theatre just before 8 and was surprised by a line still at the door.  It took a while to get in, and it was hard to find a spot for Sponge, as the place was jammed solid.  I ended up side stage - just behind the VIP tables and caught the last few songs of their set.  I don't remember them being big in Australia in the 90s, and I didn't know any songs.  But the crowd knew Plowed (the last song) and the venue was jumping.  The band were humbled by the turnout so early in the night, and their energy let fans remember back when it was easier to be at concerts.  And let us pretend were were in out 20s again - and not our 50s.  well, me anyway.

Sponge Setlist

Once Sponge was over, and the crowd came tot he bar for drinks, I headed into the main room and got myself a great unobstructed spot midway down the hall.  I may actually be here more because of Local H.  They have been a favorite since I first saw them at Equinox in 1997.  Tonight they continued their run of 7 awesome shows.  They played my favorite song first.  High Fivin' MF set the tone for the rest of the intense 45 minute set.  As loud and as fast as you want it, this is such an awesome song, and a real ballsy opener.  A couple more songs off As Good As Dead filtered into the opening part of the set.  Fritz's Corner was great, as was Eddie Vedder.  Everyone loved, and shouted the chorus for California Songs.  And Bound For The Floor was the hit that sent the crowd over the edge.  I thought it was great, and the TV Eye snippet mid-song was the chef's kiss.

Local H Setlist

Everclear are celebrating the 30th anniversary of the great Sparkle & Fade album.  It's only appropriate the I see it, because they toured Australia on the back of that release in 1996, and they played an awesome show at the Metro opening for silverchair.  The band itself has changed with age.  Songs don't hit as fast as they used to, but Art Alexakis and band still enjoy themselves up there.  The songs do stand the test of time.  Heroin Girl was a great song, even if it sounds a little different when slower.  It is still my favorite Everclear song.  Father Of Mine got the crowd really going, and Heartspark Dollarsign was another great trip down memory lane.  The band didn't play the whole album start to finish but sprinkled some other songs into the set throughout.  In the meantime we got a couple of great covers, including Highway To Hell and Whole Lotta Love (with Scott Lucas).  

When the main set was finished I rushed over and got myself and Everclear shirt.  Then, Lucas was at the Local H table, with his dog, Karen, who was taking all the attention at the time.  I bought a vinyl copy of Whatever Happened to PJ Soles and he was kind enough to sign a poster for me.

I went side stage again for the 3 song encore.  So Much For The Afterglow was great, as was I Will Buy You A New Life.  But it was the crowd at its loudest singing Santa Monica put the icing on tonight's rock n roll cake.  Such a good song, and the perfect way to end the night.

Everclear Setlist

The Crap Facts
This is my 534th concert.
This is my 12th concert at The Neighborhood Theater.
This is my 130th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 155th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 334th concert in the USA.
Sponge are the 627th band I've seen.
Sponge are the 350th American band I've seen.
This is my 7th Local H concert.
This is my 5th Everclear concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment