Sunday, September 17, 2023

Riot Fest @ Douglass Park

A bit of rain this morning sees us leave the hotel early and head back to Yolk, where we are now recognized by the wait staff.  Doors have been delayed to 2pm, so we're in no rush to get out to Douglass Park this morning.  Hell, I'd be content to just see The Cure tonight.  It's the reason we're here in the first place.

It is not what we do.  We leave the hotel at 2pm and get to the station as the train arrives.  Everything goes smoothly and we are in the venue and in place to see Ride take the Riot stage at 3.30pm.  I couldn't believe this was the Ride from the 90's.  Very little fanfare in the US about their show.  I didn't even know they were still playing together.  I was never a big fan of the shoegaze style but remember they had a great album cover for Nowhere (with the curvy wave) and it was everywhere in the time I was discovering Waterfront Records, Red Eye and other of Sydney's independent record stores.  Turns out that today was the perfect day for them to play.  That dreary English weather followed them over, and their swirling sound literally swirled around in the Chicago breeze.  Vapour Trail was the only song I vaguely recognized, but all in all a good start to the day.


Erik wanted to stay for AFI, but I walked around to the distant Rebel Stage to see H2O.  Another band who has eluded me over the years.  I new they were a New York hardcore band, but had never listened to or seen them before.  I missed the first couple of songs, but singer Todd Morse was already in the pit (apparently he started an over 50's only circle - damn I missed it).  And it was there he stayed.  I still have no idea what he looks like.  Morse powered through the whole set in the crowd, as the band killed it from the stage.  It was definitely a great set, with a dedicated fan base loving every moment of it.  It was the closest I'd been to a stage so far, and definitely was boosted by the surrounding energy.


The Gorilla Biscuits were on this stage next, so I walked over to the Rise Stage to grab a late lunch and see a few Flogging Molly songs.  Again, this is a band that doesn't seem right to be see during the day.  Regardless, they gave it their all, as they always do when I see them, And the crowd was into it - all the way to the back.


Back to the Rebel Stage and in place (up front to the side of stage) for the Gorilla Biscuits.  First time hearing and seeing them as well.  The line up says they are playing their 1989 album Start Today, and I wanted to see what it was all about.  Erik was still over watching  Dresden Dolls, but, me and the crowd, and tons of people on stage waited in high anticipation until the thunderous arrival of the Biscuits.  From the get go, this fast action band had their diehard fans in a frenzy.  Their new ones were also enjoying it.  They played hard and fast, and had a dedicated crew in the audience singing every word.  They packed 17 songs into their tight set and were great from start to finish.  On day one, they had a great shirt at the merchandise booth (a Chicago Bulls comic front with Riot Fest 23 on the back), that I didn't buy because I didn't want to jinx them by getting the shirt before I saw them - wish I had now.  Great show.  Hope I get to see them again some time.


I met Erik at the Rise Stage (found each other easily for 50,000 people in the grounds).  I was pretty excited to see another Gaslight Anthem show (twice in a year doesn't happen very often to me anymore).  The band sounded great from the start, and Brian's risky Chicago pizza jokes paid off, winning the local crowd over.  Old White Lincoln and Senor & The Queen were my 2 favorites.  While I hung on as long as possible to hear The 59 Sound, good spots need to be found for the Cure.  After the band finished Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts we walked away, only to hear the start of the song I wanted, before being lost in the sound of Mars Volta's last songs.


It's finally dark, dark when The Cure take the stage, and we are nearing the end of 3 good days of music.  While it feels like we're miles away from the stage, we have a decent view and the sound is great.  They started with Alone, off the latest album, which I'm not familiar with, and then plowed into 2 plus hours of great song after great song.  High was played in good spirit.  Hearing the bass start for Lovesong is always the best.  Was great to hear Burn from the Crow soundtrack (not one they often played until recently).  In Between Days and Just Like Heaven back to back was amazing.  I love Dinosaur Jr's cover, which I heard just last week, but the original is just the best.   And of course, A Forest is a personal favorite.  When they came back on for an encore, Smith explained he would speak little in order to get as many songs in as possible.  An 8 song encore!  Pretty sure they covered it.  Each encore song was better than the last.  Close to Me and Boys Don't Cry.  By the time they finished near on 10pm with Killing An Arab, I no longer wanted to go anywhere, and just have them play forever.  

The Cure @ Riot Fest


Pretty easy ride home, and a successful, fun weekend had by all.  Having said that I think I'm done with the 3 day festival.  Even without partying, it takes a toll on this old body.  I say that now, but put the Cure back on the bill and I'll be the first one with tickets.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 492nd concert.
This is my 3rd concert at Douglass Park.
This is my 6th concert in Chicago.
This is my 6th concert in Illinois.
This is my 293rd concert in the USA.
Ride are the 568th band I've seen.
Ride are the 1100th time I've seen a band.
H2O the 569th band I've seen.
This is my 3rd Flogging Molly concert.
Gorilla Biscuits are the 570th band I've seen.
This is my 7th Gaslight Anthem concert.
This is my 6th The Cure concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment