Saturday, September 16, 2023

Riot Fest @ Douglass Park

 Day 2 started back at our breakfast spot at Yolk.  Definitely no rush today, as we don't plan on seeing a band until 5pm.  You'd think being in Chicago, we'd take a look around after breakfast.  Nope!  Not us.  We've both been to Chicago a number of times, and yesterday took it out of us old guys.  So we rested up in the hotel.  And I enjoyed having a kid break.

We did work out that we can catch a train to Douglass Park, well close to it.  So just after 3pm we walked up to the L Train at Harold Washington Library and caught the Pink Line out to California and then the 20 minute walk into Riot Fest.  Much easier than yesterday.  But holy shit there a lot more people here today, already.

First up was Head Automatica on the Riot Stage (we're here a whole band earlier than expected).  Not my cup of tea.  


We watched for the first 20 minutes before heading over to the Roots Stage to see Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls.  I've never heard of this band, but for some reason I wanted to see them.. And a right decision was made. This Englishman and his band were rocking.  And they have a pretty good following.  I wonder why they have slipped past me.  Anyway, there 45 minutes of energy was a good warm up for what was to come.


Death Grips were next on the Roots Stage.  I had heard that this band had a reputation for a great show.  And if the opening song was anything to go by, this was totally true.  The Energy!  Man, the lead singer had an Iggy Pop-like energy and the drummer played like his life depended on how hard and often he hit those drums.  I'm unfamiliar with their hip-hop/punk songs, and some of it, to an unfamiliar ear, made me wonder if I'd heard 17 songs or one hour long song (it was the former).  In the end 3 tubs of sweat splashed off stage and a crowd was left to recover and seek rehydration before their next move.


Next up, on the adjacent Riot Stage, was the complete opposite to what we'd just seen.  Death Cab for Cutie.  Again another band I didn't know much about, be we used the set to get Erik a good spot for Queens of the Stone Age.  Death Cab just made me feel old.  All the kids loved them, but this old man couldn't get into it.  


With the sun setting, I left Erik to go back to the Rise Stage to catch my 9th Pennywise show.  And as expected, they flew through another blistering set.  From Straight Ahead to begin, Pennywise put in a show as good as always.  Wasn't long before an all time favorite was played, Same Old Story.  Their 3 mini song NoFx covers lit up the crowd, as the band pleaded for them not to break up.  About 1/2 way through, they called out Chicago sons, Tim McIlrath and Joe Principe of Rise Against.  They joined the band to play Nervous Breakdown and Minor Threat.  I was supposed to head back to Erik at this oint to catch the start of Queens, but this was the best I'd seen all day, and we all know how a Pennywise set finishes.  Perfect People and Society were great lead ins to the sing along Stand By Me cover.  Unfortunately this set had to end.  I could have stayed there the rest of the night.  The distinctive bass line of Bro Hymn saw the bands' mass of friends move in from side stage to front and center.  Man, that is such a great song, and such a powerful set ender.  To have family and friends on stage singing to and about a former bandmate is something even the crown can share.


Between Pennywise songs I could hear Queens of the Stone Age kick off their set with No One Knows.  I got back to the Roots Stage to see their 5th song, If I Had A Tail.   From then on, Josh Homme's swagger filled the stage and Queens played an awesome set.  Make It With Chu and Little Sister were great songs, but A Song For The Dead to finish their hour was an attack on the senses.  I'd hate to be The Postal Service following that.  I had planned to see all of Queens of the Stone Age, and was bummed when they conflicted with Pennywise, but as much as I enjoyed the end of Queens, I'm glad I changed my mind and saw all of Pennywise.


Erik and I split again as he stated to see Postal Service, I headed back to the Rise Stage to see Mr. Bungle.  I'd had a hit and miss with 2 Faith No More shows in the 90's, but was keen to see what this "experimental" band could do.  I thought that there would be some off-beat metal/noise-rock happening, but with Anthrax's Scott Ian and Slayer's Dave Lombardo, tonight's set was pretty straight forward metal.  Which there is not a lot of at Riot Fest.  I really liked the song Hypocrites/Habla Espanyol o Muere.  They then did a I'm Not In Love, a 10cc cover.  Great version, and funny to watch people think they know the songs and then it finally clicks.  I didn't stay to the end, but did get to hear Slayer's Hell Awaits and left after Spandau Ballet's True.  I thought that was a great way to finish the night.


A 20 minute walk back to the station as Erik and I relived the highlights.  The first 4 car train was packed, but moments later was an empty 8 car became full to the brim, to take us back into downtown.  So much easier than last night.  A good Day 2, while I didn't enjoy all the bands, I still like to see something new to decide on future shows,  Pennywise & Queens of the Stone Age were the best, but I am a new fam of Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 491st concert.
This is my 2nd concert at Douglass Park.
This is my 5th concert in Chicago.
This is my 5th concert in Illinois.
This is my 292nd concert in the USA.
Head Automatica are the 563rd band I've seen.
Head Automatica are the 550th time I've seen an American band.
Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls the 564th band I've seen.
Death Grips are the 565th band I've seen.
Death Cab For Cutie are the 566th band I've seen.
Death Cab For Cutie are the 350th different band I've seen in the US.
This is my 9th Pennywise concert.
This is my 3rd Queens Of The Stone Age concert.
Queens Of The Stone Age are the 100th band I've seen in at least 3 states.
Mr. Bungle are the 567th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment