Friday, September 15, 2023

Riot Fest @ Douglass Park

Got into Chicago last night (even after missing my first flight while in the airport).  Erik got there before me and we met up at the Chicago Hilton, where we are camped in for the next 4 nights.  After dropping my bags in the room we wandered until we came across Maharaj for dinner.  A good Indian restaurant just a couple of blocks from the hotel.  As you'd expect, afterwards, we just headed back to the hotel.  We have to conserve as much 50 year old energy as possible for the next 3 days.
We were up at the crack of 9am - ahhhh to sleep without kids nearby.  We walked 3 blocks south to Yolk for enough food to last the whole day (a Yolk All Star Combo).

There was no rush, we didn't need to get there as gates opened at 11am, but we didn't know where we were going , so we caught a cab out to near Douglass Park and landed near 1pm.  I know I say this all the time, but this is going to be my last festival.  At 50, I don't want to stand out in a field for 3 days, even if it's to see some great music and catch up with Erik for our annual meet up and show.  It's been 9 years since we were last in Chicago for Riot Fest.  The Cure was the draw then, and reason why we've come back this year.

We got into the site, had a look around at what was where, checked our the 5 stages.  WE started the day off at the Rise Stage to see Parliament Funkadelic featuring George Clinton.  I had heard about this band forever (they've been around since the late 60's) so I wanted to be here early enough to see them.  This band of about 1000 people definitely bring the funk.  A lot of hype-men and people on stage who I'm not sure what they do, bring some high energy to the early crowd.  George Clinton, though, looked like he was doing it tough. And rightly so, to be 82 years and up on that stage definitely should get props from anyone.  A cover of Jump Around and a snippet of The Roof Is On Fire were the only songs I knew, and after a while it was starting to sound samey to me, so E & I went and listened to the last few songs under the shade of a large tree. 


When Funkadelic finished we had 1/2 an hour before we wanted to see Kim Gordon so we headed for the merchandise tent.  I usually don't buy stuff until I see a band, but we're in a short line and all 3 days worth of bands have their gear set up, and you know The Cure are going to be awesome, so I bought a Riot Fest specific Cure shirt.  There was a dozen others I wanted, but I controlled myself and stuck with the 1.


Back to the Rise Stage for Kim Gordon at 3.20pm.  I was hoping this would be me falling in love with Gordon again, after walking out of a Sonic Youth show in 1998 in Portugal.  This was not going to be the case.  But some of that was the difference between want and reality.  I just wanted to hear her play great songs, in her cool, Sonic Youth demeanor.  Instead she is the lead singer, not a bass player, of a band with a completely different sound.  And I know it sounds weird, but it may be better in a dark club and night, instead of on a large stage in the Chicago sun.


Before Gordon's set was over, we walked over to the Riot Stage (one of the 2 side by side main stages) to see The Interrupters.  Here is another band I'd known by reputation, but never heard before.  While theirs' is a rocking, ska sound, it just wasn't doing it for me.  It sounded a little No Doubt-lite for my liking.  As usual this is one man's opinion.  There were thousands of punters in front of me enjoying what The Interrupters did.  A cover of Billie Eilish's Bad Guy also didn't really hit the mark for me, and maybe because that song is so good on its own.


Way in the back corner of the park, is the smallest stage, the Rebel Stage, where Screaming Females took the stage at 4.50pm.  This was a must see for me.  Melissa Paternoster is rock's current leading female.  Her voice is wild, but tame compared to her guitar shredding.  I was lucky enough to see them for a second time last November, and was happy to see them on a larger scale today.  As expected, their set was blistering.  And the crowd responded as such.  Ripe is the only song they played that I know by name, and it was a pearler.  I love seeing this band in a small venue, but I hope today that got a heap of exposure to a new audience and things kick on for them, because they are a great band who next time deserve to be on a bigger stage later in the day.


Back to the Riot Stage to see The Breeders.  Kim seemed to be in a good mood and the band played Last Splash from start to finish.  Cannonball alone was worth the price of admission.  How is that album 30 years old?  I remember buying Cannonball on single a gazillion years ago.  The Breeders provided a mellow rock tempo as the sun disappeared for the day, and all of a sudden the weather turned cool.  The good news is the old men (us) found a spot where we'd camp for the rest of the night that allowed us to lean on a barrier and relax the back - hey! its hard work for us to rock out all afternoon.


Turnstile were next, on the Roots Stage, adjacent to the Riot Stage, so we didn't move.  We could hear everything great and could see some of the stage, but watched most of the set on the video screen.  Boy, the kids love this band.  There were people everywhere.  And Turnstile's lead singer matched their energy.  This band reminds me of Touché Amore, with their sound.  They really got the crowd amped.  I bet the show they did at The Fillmore a while back was wild.


Today's headliners hit the stage at 8pm to a massive, pumped up crowd.  I can't believe it's been 15 years since I last saw the Foo Fighters (back in the old Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas).  And boy, things have changed.  The Foo Fighters are bonafide rock stars now, and I think they know it.  All My Life kicked off the set, and very quickly I noticed that each song had it's rockstar ending.  Where the song kind on finishes, so the crowd cheers, and then the band plays a little bit extra before really finishing and the crowd double dips on their cheering.  Breakout, My Hero and This Is A Call were great mid set songs.  Then out of nowhere I needed to get to the bathroom, so I turned and tried to get out.  Holy Shit, there was just endless people.  I got on the back of a line of people trying to get out, but it seemed like a lost cause.  That is the closest I've ever come to panic made at a show.  At 6'2 I can usually see what's happening around me, but once Shame Shame started (the 2nd song of my trek) I was thinking I'd never get out.  Obviously I did, but it took a glass of water to calm me down.  Being out of that crowd also made it cool.  I had to by a hoodie to survive the rest of the night.  I didn't make it back to Erik, but watched the rest of th set from in front of the Roots Stage.  I was maybe closer, and with far fewer people around.  The 2 hour set finished with 5 good songs . Aurora, which they explained they'd play every show from now on, because it was one of Taylor's favorites.  Monkey Wrench - my favorite Foo Fighters song.  White Limo - which I'd never heard of, but apparently Grohl heard someone request.   Then Best of You, and the crowd favorite, Everlong made sure everyone was buzzed up as they left.


Overall a great first day.  Though getting back to the hotel was another story.  We hadn't really looked into how to get back, so we tried an Uber.  Ha!  That wasn't going to happen.  So we walked for about 2 miles before the Uber app finally picked a driver for us.  Then the police had a whole bunch of streets blocked off to stop revelers partying for Mexican Independence weekend.  The poor Uber driver was all over the place and eventually we bailed on him about 4 blocks from the hotel, cause there was nowhere else for him to go.  We better look into better ways tomorrow.  Looking forward to Day 2 tomorrow.


The Crap Facts:
This is my 490th concert.
Douglass Park is the 135th venue I've seen a concert in.
This is my 4th concert in Chicago.
This is my 4th concert in Illinois.
This is my 291st concert in the USA.
Parliament Funkadelic are the 558th band I've seen.
Kim Gordon is the 559th band I've seen.
The Interrupters are the 560th band I've seen.
The Interrupters are the 300th American band I've seen.
This is my 3rd Screaming Females concert.
The Breeders are the 561st band I've seen.
Turnstile are the 562nd band I've seen.
This is my 5th Foo Fighters concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment