Thursday, April 14, 2022

Cat Power & Arsun @ Neighborhood Theatre



Cat Power is back in Charlotte.  3 years after she killed it at the Underground, Power is at the half full  Neighborhood Theatre this time.
I got there early enough to walk in as the opener, Arsun, took the stage.  With so few people here I went and stood against the barrier just right of center as Arsun warmed up the crowd for 1/2 an hour.  Acoustic rhythm, electric lead and bass played southern folk music that is really prevalent around Charlotte (and the south in general).  Nothing jumped out at me, but I enjoyed it (considering this is not what I'd normally listen too).
We waited a good 45+ minutes for Cat Power to grace us, despite a quick turnaround by the stage crew.  But obviously it was well worth it!  Her band started a quiet jam before Power slinkily crept onto stage.  So quiet was the crowd in anticipation, I could here her footsteps on the stage as she approached the microphone.  Again Power used dimly lit backlight, added to the mystery of her songs and performance.  To see her close up again (though even closer this time) was mesmerizing.  Her voice is divine and her passion shows through in her voice and movement.  An all round performance.  I got the new Covers album last month for my birthday and most of the songs I recognized were off this album.  These Days, A Pair Of Brown Eyes and Here Comes A Regular were favorites of the night from that album.  (I was hoping for Nick Cave's I Had A Dream Joe, but I'll have to wait until she comes through again.  Hate is a favorite song of mine, and her reworking to Unhate is just as good.  The Greatest and The Moon were icing on the cake for me.
As the night went on Power loosened up.  Playing to the women dancing stage left, greeting an old friend and bumming a cigarette off the audience is her between song banter.  There is no better voice than Cat Power in my opinion.  Her songs and performance will take you away from day to day life and land you in a serene beauty.  I am already keen to see her again.



The Crap Facts:
This is my 472nd concert.
This is my 8th concert at Neighborhood Theatre.
This is my 90th show in Charlotte.
This is my 106th show in North Carolina.
This is my 275th concert in the US.
Arsun are the 547th band I've seen.
This is my 2nd Cat Power concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment