Sunday, October 6, 2019

ZZ Top & Cheap Trick @ PNC Pavilion


Right show, wrong venue!  I am usually reluctant to see shows at the PNC Pavilion because I don't like to be far away, and I bought this ticket at the last minute because how many time do you get to see ZZ Top and Cheap Trick together.

Cheap Trick came on, and while I was on an isle seat, in the middle section of the arena, in an isle to myself, I felt myself looking towards the big screen instead to the stage too often.  Still Cheap Trick put on a great show.  As good as 4 years ago at Carolina Rebellion, but just not the same atmosphere.  The first half of the set was songs I wasn't familiar with but once they played The Flame it was song after another that I was into.  Dream Police was a highlight, a b-side Never Had A Lot To Lose was a a surprise and Surrender bought the house down.  And to think, this is just the opening band.

Cheap Trick Setlist PNC Music Pavilion, Charlotte, NC, USA 2019

ZZ Top have some fans.  Actually a ton of fans!  And they were out in full force for this show.  Some wearing t-shirts older than some of my oldies.  And they got a great show.  I'm not too familiar with a lot of ZZ Top's catalog but there is an air of familiarity with a lot of songs.  Gimme All Your Lovin' was the first one I new (5 songs in) and the dislike of the huge venue comes in here.  Dusty Hill and Billy Gibbons have some wonderfully subtle, little choreographed moves, which are lost in the big venue.  9 years at the House of Blues in Vegas these moves were met with a thunderous reception, here the reception is from only those up front and eventually those that may catch it on the big screens.  That said, the set was fantastic and the crowd were in awe the whole time.  The Sharp Dressed Man and Legs double to finish the set had the crowd in a frenzy.  I left after the La Grange and Tush encore, only to hear Elvis' Jailhouse Rock as I walked back to the car.  A great night, that I think would have been mind blowing in the Fillmore, or even the smaller amphitheater uptown.  But glad I got to see these 2 legendary bands again.

ZZ Top Setlist PNC Music Pavilion, Charlotte, NC, USA 2019, 50th Anniversary


The Crap Facts:
This is my 460th concert.
This is my 3rd concert at PNC Pavilion.
This is my 85th concert in Charlotte
This is my 96th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 263rd concert in the USA.
This is my 2nd Cheap Trick concert.
This is my 2nd ZZ Top concert

No comments:

Post a Comment