Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Cat Power @ The Underground


While complete contrast to the frivolity of last night's Aquabats show, Cat Power's dark, mysterious show tonight was no less entertaining.  I think she has the voice of an angel (listen to her NPR Tiny Desk Concert and tell me differently).  And tonight I got to hear that live in a small venue.

A darkly back-lit stage meant that even in the 3rd row I could barely tell you what Cat Power looks like, but her divine voice was incredible.  After staring with He Turns Down, Power broke into a quick medley including Nick Cave's Into My Arms. I loved the Dirty Three cover of Great Waves.  I'm not familiar with the original, but this version was mesmerizing.  Hate was a song I did know, and while different from her recorded version, it was still a great rendition.  I also loved The Greatest.  Her set closed with Bob Dylan's He Was A Friend Of Mine and Boy's Next Door's Shivers - a great song originally made better by Power.  Powers ethereal voice was backed by a band who were even further in the shadows and sometimes unnoticeable but a fantastic addition to what this disappointingly smallish crowd had come to see.  While the darkness of her stage wouldn't fit in an arena, I bet her voice would sound fantastic on the larger stage.  I hope she gets that chance.


The Crap Facts:
This is my 459th concert.
This is my 5th concert at The Underground.
This is my 84th concert in Charlotte
This is my 95th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 262nd concert in the USA.
Cat Power are the 534th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment