Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Helmet @ The Senate


I came across this show just by luck.  Saw it on Facebook only 3 days before the show.  I'd never been to the Senate and made the hour and a half drive down to Columbia to catch another Helmet show.  I loved the concept, 30 songs in 30 shows celebrating 30 years as a band.  Could only lead to a good night.

The Senate is a smaller, flatter version of my oft visited Fillmore here in Charlotte and while not quite half full the sound was great for the crushing Helmet.  Without a word to the crowd Helmet plowed through 5 songs before I pulled out the earplugs to hear Give It.  Wilma's Rainbow (everyone knew what was coming with the opening) & Milquetoast were excellent and Helmet hadn't lost their intensity since I last saw them at the Visulite 4 years ago.

Page had some great banter with the crowd, telling stories of a turgid past, meeting famous Columbian's Hootie & The Blowfish, and Panther-heckling after his 49er's destroyed us the Sunday before.

The encore was insane.  Unsung was rip-your-ears-off brutal.  While Hamilton expressed his desire to play Crisis King, I was glad they went with Just Another Victim instead.  And In The Meantime, what can I say.  This may the 3 best minutes in rock.  That swirling build up, to the pounding post-intro, and then Hamilton's scowling vocals that haven't wavered since the original recording.  It is the perfect song to keep you pumped for the long drive home, but not help your vocal chords as you try to match the venom at the top of your lungs.

I do need to get some better earplugs though.  After this show, and my next one being Dinosaur Jr at the Neighborhood Theater, I need to salvage the last of my hearing after all these years.

Helmet Setlist The Senate, Columbia, SC, USA 2019, 30th Anniversary

The Crap Facts:
This is my 462nd concert.
The Senate is the 126th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 2nd concert in Columbia
This is my 4th concert in South Carolina.
This is my 265th concert in the USA.
This is my 5th Helmet concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment