Friday, October 27, 2017

Superchunk & Bat Fangs @ Neighborhood Theater


Finally get to see a Superchunk show.  While I've seen them twice before, those were at festivals...during daylight hours...short sets...with people not interested, just wanting a good spot for a later band.  This small club show was the real deal.

I kinda thought it would be Charlotte's UNC Alumni 90's reunion and was surprised by the smallish (maybe half full) crowd.  Bat Fangs had already started when Mike & I walked in the room and they were rocking.  SInger Betsy Wright had the swagger, moves and voice of a rock goddess and was driven by drummer Laura King.  Bat Fangs like what they do, and are good doing it.  I hope to hear more of their great rock.

Superchunk bounded on stage like a new band, not one that have been together for over 25 years.  They seemed happy to be in Charlotte after a 15 year absence, and after praising Bat Fangs started the rock that made them leaders in alternative rock in the 90's.  From the first notes of Out Of The Sun, Mac McCaughan was moving like a man possessed.  The crowd reacted accordingly and a great hour and a half followed.  I Got Cut and Me & You & Jackie Mittoo were standouts, but the energy from the set closer, Slack Motherfucker, rose three-fold.  Such a good song to end this great set.  A two song encore capped off a brilliant performance.  So glad I got to see one of their club shows.

Superchunk are a North Carolina band.  Lets get them back to Charlotte sooner than 15 years.

Superchunk Setlist Neighborhood Theatre, Charlotte, NC, USA 2017


The Crap Facts:
This is my 433rd concert.
This is my 3rd concert at Neighborhood Theater.
This is my 67th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 76th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 239th concert in the USA.
Bat Fangs are the 498th band I've seen.
This is my 3rd Superchunk concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment