Sunday, October 22, 2017

Spoon & Late Bloomer @ The Fillmore


After the fiasco of unsuccessfully trying to get into the Descendents show early in August to catch Late Bloomer, I got to the Fillmore just after 8 to catch this local Charlotte band play.  Great gig and a sound well suited to the headliners (not sure how it went with the Bronx/Descendents crowd).   I remember being indifferent when I first saw them open for the Screaming Females when I first moved to Charlotte.  This time, like the rest of the crowd, I was getting into it the longer the set went along.

Crowd size was a bit disappointing (curtain across the back of the first step up) but it is Charlotte, and it was a school night, so......their loss, and more room for me.  After a moody keyboard beginning, the band came out with all guns blazing.  Spoon were appreciative of those who came back after a washed out show in August . I was happy for the rain that night, as Amy was out of town and I would have missed it.  Do I Have To Talk You Into It set the tone for the night.  Fun, energetic and a well oiled band.  As is standard now, I was not familiar with any of the songs, and they didn't play the 2 songs I know (You Got Tour Cherry Bomb and The Way We Get By), but everything sounded great.  Inside Out and Beast & Dragon early on were the standouts.  A four song encore for their last show on the tour had the crowd in raptures. I liked Hot Thoughts in their "mini-set".

I saw Spoon at the Big Day Out in 2008 and on the strength of that show and the 2 previously mentioned songs, I came to this show.  And I'm so glad I did.  Spoon have their own unique sound and a stage presence which shows they love what they do.  Look forward to catching them again someday.

Spoon Setlist The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC, USA 2017

The Crap Facts:
This is my 432nd concert.
This is my 23rd concert at The Fillmore.
This is my 66th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 75th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 238th concert in the USA.
This is my 2nd Late Bloomer concert.
This is my 2nd Spoon concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment