Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Mastodon & Eagles Of Death Metal @ The Fillmore


I am very aware that 3 days after the shooting spree that killed 58 people in my previous home city of Las Vegas, I am seeing the band, who, with their fans, suffered from a terrorist attack while they were performing in Paris in November 2015.  It's not often I get nervous, but tonight is definitely the exception.

The Eagles of Death Metal, on the other hand, are not.  They are ready to rock like it's no one's business.  From the outset when Mastodon's Brent Hines joined for the opening song I Only Want You EoDM decided this was going to be their best show ever - which I'm sure they do every night.  Frontman Jesse Hughes was a ball of energy, bouncing, pogoing and dancing from one side of the stage to the other.  While I don't know any EoDM songs (yet) there is an engaging energy that bursts into the crowd, and a four-on-the-floor rocking beat which gets any crowd moving.  Jesse Hughes is a showman in the vain of Vintage Trouble, Hives, Cage the Elephant and, of course, Iggy.  His enthusiasm and the the great music make for an awesome show - and a challenge for a headlining band.

Eagles of Death Metal Setlist The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC, USA 2017

Mastodon had a crowd full of loyal fans and they were happy to oblige them with over 100 minutes of  heavy, sludgy rock.  While most songs came off the unfamiliar to me new album, Emperor of Sand, (I should know this from the last time I saw them and The Hunter dominated the set), there was plenty of familiarity throughout the show.  Divinations & Crystal Skull back to back got me started. and I really enjoyed Black Tongue, Colony of Birchmen and Oblivion through the middle of the set.  I began to tire near the end of the night and a lot stuff sounded a bit samey, except for the excellent Crack The Skye.  Mastodon do a great job of creating their unique sound, but unfamiliarity leads to you only to appreciate the musicianship instead of enjoying the songs.  I wish I'd heard Emperor of Sand before tonight.  Would have made for a better show for me.

Mastodon Setlist The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC, USA 2017, Emperor of Sand

I walked into the venue to hear only the last song of Russian Circles.  I wish I'd gotten there earlier to see them, cause what I heard sounded great.  After 13 years I got to see only my 2nd Eagles Of Death Metal show (back in 2004 they killed it opening for the Strokes in Vegas).  Tonight they were even better.  And again Mastodon keeps metal relevant.  Great night all round.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 430th concert.
This is my 22nd concert at The Fillmore.
This is my 65th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 73rd concert in North Carolina.
This is my 236th concert in the USA.
This is my 2nd Eagles Of Death Metal concert.
Eagles Of Death Metal are the 100th different band I've seen in Charlotte
This is my 5th Mastodon concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment