Monday, December 31, 2012

Black Keys & Divine Fits @ New Joint


The night before New Years.  Have to get out tonight so as to not put up with amateur night tomorrow.

Erik & I got to the Joint early to see the Divine Fits.  A Spoon / Red Kross / Jesus Lizard supergroup.  They had a real Nick Cave feel to them, sort of brooding rock.  I liked what I heard (ultimately a little more than hearing them later on their A Thing Called.. album).  They finished their set with a cover of, appropriately, The Birthday Party's Shivers - an old favorite of mine that I was stunned to recognize.

I had high expectations for The Black Keys.  The first of 2 nights, celebrating New Years Eve in Vegas.  Should be a big show, right?  Not really.  They just seemed to be going through their paces and barely played an hour and a half.  Having said that their were a few highlights.  Things started well with Howlin' For You.  The back to back Gold On The Ceiling and Thickfreakness energized me and the crowd, but generally the setlist relied heavily on Brothers and El Camino which, for me, is less rocking than say Thickfreakness & Rubber Factory.

This comes across as not a particularly good review, but I did enjoy myself and will more than likely try and see them again, but maybe not if New Years festivities are involved.

The Black Keys Setlist The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2012, El Camino


The Crap Facts:
This is my 348th concert.
This is my 15th concert at New Joint.
This is my 144th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 144th concert in Nevada.
This is my 156th concert in the USA.
Divine Fits are the 412th band I've seen.
This is my 3rd Black Keys concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment