Saturday, May 26, 2012

Punk Rock Bowling @ 6th Street



9 years in Vegas and this is my first Punk Rock Bowling.  How did that happen?

While the main festival goes all day, work (and the fact that I’m old restricts me to just a few bands a night).

The first night we got situated to see The Briefs.  A band I’d not heard of before, The Briefs started my festival blazing through a set looking like 80’s pop stars.  

Briefs Setlist
Silver Bullet / Poor & Weird / Antisocial / I'm A Raccoon / Knife / Destroy The USA / New Shoes / We Got The Neutron Bomb (Weirdos cover)

I thought I knew English Beat songs but I found I was limited to just a couple.  Their ska-tinged rock was a nice interlude between the pace of the rest of the night.  It was also great to see lead singer, Dave Wakeling, rip into some idiot who threw something at him during the first song.  Wakeling berated the guy all the way out of the venue, with everyone (myself included) laughing at the tool as he unsuccessfully tried to save face.  Mirror In The Bathroom and Tears Of A Clown were crowd, and my favorites, but a rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone will always make this Liverpool fan happy.

The Addicts were up next.  This English band pulled out all the theatrics for the night.  Great show and the lead singer in his garish costumes (while the rest of the band look like A Clockwork Orange) have a great presence.  Add the few hilarious costume changes and even though I didn’t know a song, I thought it was a great set.

It had been over 13 years since I’d last seen NoFX, and then I wasn’t that into it.  Tonight it is completely different.  From the get go, the show was fun, funny and rocking.  I’m not familiar with a lot of their songs, but they played Leave It Alone, which is my fave, as well as the Punk In Drublic album.  Between song banter within the band and to the crowd was funny, and the tiny banner on the stage was a big f–you  to other bands and their large displays.  A great first night.

NOFX Setlist Punk Rock Bowling 2012 2012


The Crap Facts:
This is my 330th concert.
6th Street is the 88th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 126th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 126th concert in Nevada.
This is my 138th concert in the USA.
The Briefs are the 394th band I've seen.
The English Beat are the 395th band I've seen.
The Addicts are the 396th band I've seen.
This is my 2nd NoFX concert.
NoFX are the 50th time I've seen a band in at least 2 states.

No comments:

Post a Comment