Monday, May 27, 2019

Punk Rock Bowling @ Downtown Events Center


One more night in Vegas, and my 150th concert here, it's been a great weekend but feels a little weird to be back in Vegas. Driving around earlier in the day, I was finding it hard to wrap my head around the fact that I lived here for 10 years. I went to visit Aria earlier in the day to see some old friends at the Concierge desk and I had an amazing first-ever Thai massage at Dave's new business (well new since we left) Luxury Thai Spa. Holy hell! I felt fantastic and beaten up at the same time. Things are going well for Dave and I hope they continue as this place is beautiful and the massage excellent.

After a late lunch at Capriotti's, Erik and I are at the venue and in with ease today. So much so we watch Ravagers play on the smaller stage. Not quite fitting in with the punk theme of the festival, Ravagers play more of a straight ahead rock. But still get the crowd enthused early.

Ravagers Setlist Punk Rock Bowling Nevada 2019 2019

Back into the main stage for the Undertones.  I knew nothing about this band and wasn't particularly taken by them..

The Undertones Setlist Punk Rock Bowling Nevada 2019 2019

Left the Undertones early and walked back to the second stage to go and see the Toasters.  This band always comes through Charlotte and plays at the Milestone, but I never get around to seeing them.  So tonight I was a good opportunity to see what I'd been missing.  This New York ska band pulled a good sized crowd a the small stage and repaid the loyal following by putting on an energetic set.  I will make an effort next time the Toasters are around because I enjoyed the set.

I did leave during the last son to get back into the main stage to see The Stranglers.  I knew I wanted to see this band but on the night couldn't remember songs as to why.  Not until Peaches.  Of course!  From there the band played song after song I knew.  Always The Sun, Golden Brown, Hanging Around and the set closer No More Heroes, were great.  The Stranglers were tight, sounded as good as they did on 40 year old recordings and seemed to be having a great night.  My dad will be jealous that I've seen The Stranglers.

The Stranglers Setlist Punk Rock Bowling Nevada 2019 2019

The reason I picked this festival to make return to Vegas was the next band. The Hives.  Possibly the best live band I've seen.  It is for that reason I didn't leave the main stage for food (especially after the Vandals fiasco last night) or to see the band on the other stage.  Instead I defied my old man tendencies to stand back, and pushed near the front of the stage.  I secretly hoped, being Punk Rock Bowling, The Hives would come out and play a ton of Barely Legal (the blistering 14 song/27 minute debut album).  Alas they played nothing off that album (as per the other 2 times I saw them).  They did however put on the set of the weekend.  As always, Pelle Almqvist owned the stage and demanded the love he deserves from the audience.  Erik & I were well placed between Pelle and his brother, Niklaus.  While I'm surprised they only played 9 songs, Pelle's crowd banter was extensive.  Walk Idiot Walk, Main Offender and Hate To Say I Told You So were the best.  Tick Tick Boom was the set finisher.  And I wished it had of kept going.  Not since I last saw The Hives in September 2012, just down the road at the Cosmo Pool, has a performance had such great energy, though Cage The Elephant goes close.

The Hives Setlist Punk Rock Bowling Nevada 2019 2019, Scream Team Tour

The Specials were the anti-thesis of The Hives. Where The Hives tore Punk Rock Bowling apart, The Specials mellowed everyone out before finishing the weekend. While Pelle of The Hives owned the Stage, I felt Terry Hall looked like he'd rather be elsewhere. The highlight came midset with A Message To You, Rudy. I also knew and loved Too Much Too Young to end the night. Again I might have swapped The Hives & The Specials, but Punk Rock Bowling sees fit. Now I just have to wait for the next line up that will get me to travel.

The Specials Setlist Punk Rock Bowling Nevada 2019, Encore 40th Anniversary Tour 2019



The Crap Facts:
This is my 453rd concert.
This is my 4th concert at the Downtown Events Center.
This is my 150th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 150th concert in Nevada.
This is my 256th concert in the USA.
Ravagers are the 524th band I've seen
The Undertones are the 525th band I've seen.
The Toasters are the 526th band I've seen.
The Stranglers are the 527th band I've seen.
This is my 3rd Hives concert.
The Specials are the 528th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment