Saturday, July 21, 2018

Tumbleweed, Pink Fits, Electric Guitars & Enfant Terrible @ Marrickville Bowlo


20 years since I've seen my favorite Australian band, and this my 19th time.  And they happen to tour on a rare occasion that I'm at home.  Too good!

I had come to Sydney from Mum's earlier in the day to spend some time wandering Sydney.  I'm staying at the beautiful Four Seasons, in a room overlooking the Harbour, Bridge and Opera House.  Very Spoiled!  The day took me from the Rocks, to the Opera House, up to my beloved Red Eye Records, before coming back to the hotel to rest before the night, and take in the sights.

A train out to Marrickville made to see a gig.  Home sweet home!  Met Marbs there and we went in search of dinner.  Fortunately Regs and Phil found us and we headed to The Henson for dinner.  A good Aussie pub meal  on top of the day and what was to come.  Talk about trying to persuade me to move back to Oz.

We got to the venue way to early.  I usually try and at least liten to the opening bands, but good company kept me distracted and Enfant Terrible, The Electric Guitars and The Pink Fits came and went without grabbibg my attention.

For the Weed, Regs and I moved up front.  They were playing their self-titled debut from start to finish and I wanted to be right there, taken back in time to my early 20's, and see if the band still had it.  They do.  From the opening chords of Sundial, Richie had the arm-waving, hip-swaying, doubled-over, hair-flying moves I can no longer do.  The pace was a bit faster than the record, but the band was into it.  Unfortunately the sound guy wasn't!  It was so ear-piercingly loud (of course I'd forgotten earplugs) even I was uncomfortable.  After God we retreated to the back of the venue where, despite the crowd's lack of interest so far back, sound was bearable.  Acid Rain sounded great, considering I once heard the band say they'd never do that song live.  But I thing the set really kicked on after the album was finished.  The 4 song bridge from album to encore were the magnificent Daddy Long Legs, Stoned, Carousel and Shakedown. 

After hearing Silver Lizard and Hang Around we decided to leave (hey it was after 1am and we're not getting any younger).  I wish I had stayed as I could here Rainbow Waterwillow being played at a cracking pace to finish off the encore.

I can't believe that Tumbleweed can still put on as good a show as when I first saw them 25 years ago at the Zoo in Long Jetty.  I'm glad that they are still together, after a couple of hiatuses, and hope I get to see them again one day.  In the meantime I'll remember the good music and great company of te night.

Tumbleweed Setlist Marrickville Bowling Club, Sydney, Australia 2018

The Crap Facts:
This is my 443rd concert.
Marrickville Bowlo is the 121st venue I've seen a concert in.
This is my 2nd concert in Marrickville.
This is my 183rd concert in New South Wales.
This is my 186th concert in Australia.
Enfant Terrible are the 510th band I've seen.
The Electric Guitars are the 511th band I've seen.
The Pink Fits is the 512th band I've seen.
This is my 19th Tumbleweed concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment