Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tool, Primus & 3Teeth @ Bojangles Coliseum

Tool don't tour enough as far as I'm concerned.  It's been 4 years since Erik and I saw them at Mandalay Bay, at least this time they have bought a bigger lineup, including the great Primus.  This was always bound to be an epic show.  I was fortunate enough to get one of the general admission tickets for the floor (and not general admission in seats).

I got in early enough to see 3Teeth, apparently handpicked by Tool to open.  This industrial-rock band did absolutely nothing for me.  Song speeds were the same and there was nothing in them to spark any interest for me.  However their sound was bigger than what it should have been.  I stood in front of the drummer who only had a small kit.  His intense concentration made for great timing, but he barely seemed to hit the drums, yet the sound was booming.

Once 3Teeth were finished it was less than 20 minutes before Primus was on.  There I was 7 rows from the stage right in front of Les Claypool.  Again I was trapped into watching him bedazzle on the bass.  While it's great, I hate that I forget how great the other 2 musicians are and I don't really watch them.  Claypool was not very chatty between songs, seemed like he was trying to get through as much music in the 45 minutes Primus were allotted.  As is the case with the last 7 times I have seen them, Primus were awesome, and their set got progressively better.  From the opening Damned Blue Collar Tweekers, to Too Many Puppies, with the Mr Knowitall interlude, to my favorite Primus song Mr Krinkle, to the always-there My Name Is Mud and the closing Jerry Is A Race Car Driver  every song was better than the last.  Again I mention how great the 3 gel as a band.  It is spellbinding to watch and see.  Personally I'd a preferred a longer set from Primus, but there will always be a next time.

Primus Setlist Bojangles' Coliseum, Charlotte, NC, USA, North American Tour 2016


It took Tool's crew about 40 minutes to clear and set up, before the band entered the arena and a SWAT-clothed Maynard took up his position in the dark at the back of the stage.  I had barely moved and was standing right in front of bassist Justin Chancellor.  I pretty much spent the whole show just watching the ease in which he handles these Tool songs.  Not easy, but to do so after Les Claypool has just killed it, is an awesome feat.  We know that Tool songs are long and complex and tonight there were only 12 songs over the 2 hours, so I was surprised they opened with a Led Zeppelin cover. Once in the swing this concert was a great as you'd expect.  Was overwhelmed to hear Opiate, as I have rarely heard anything from Undertow or earlier in the last 3 shows.  Ænema sounded amazing and the closing 46&2 was so powerful.  Not sure of the purpose of the intermission count down clock was.  Not sure why a band needs 15 minutes to come back for an encore, and then not be on stage and ready to go when that clock reaches zero.  Danny Carey opened the encore with a drum solo.  He is the drummer for Tool, so you know he's good, but again a back catalog as extensive as their's, I'd have preferred to hear one of those songs (Sober, Cold & Ugly, Prison Sex, Bottom......anyone).  Tool did finish with the incredible Stinkfist and the crowd was beside themselves.  Definitely the reaction of the night.

Another great concert, despite the complaints listed above.  Primus and Tool are a great pairing for a show and I would have loved to see both play longer.  Hopefully it doesn't take 4 years again.
  
Tool Setlist Bojangles' Coliseum, Charlotte, NC, USA, North American Tour 2016


The Crap Facts:
This is my 400th concert.
Bojangles Coliseum is the 112th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 43rd concert in Charlotte.
This is my 48th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 208th concert in the USA.
3Teeth are the 473rd band I've seen.
This is my 8th Primus concert.
This is my 5th Tool concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment