Sunday, March 6, 2016

Book Of Mormon @ Belk Theater


Ohhhhh, I'm going to hell!  And there were a lot of people in the Belk Theater who are coming with me.

For Christmas I bought Amy tickets to see Wicked at Ovens Auditorium in January.  Because of Snowpocalypse 2016 the 1 show that was cancelled in the 3 week run was ours.  And due to Amy's work travel schedule, we were unable to get to another performance.  Ovens kindly refunded our money and we opted to use said money on The Book Of Mormon.  A show we'd both wanted to see for a long time.  As a fan of South Park, you knew this was going to be right up my alley, and I couldn't have been happier.

Oddly I had a near panic attack once we were in our seats.  Just left of center, 2nd row on the Mezzanine Level.  For the first time in a long time heights were making me uncomfortable.  It was a weird feeling to feel that way, while talking to myself about the illogical feeling.  Unfortunately it was a feeling that froze me to the seat in the interval, and didn't clear until after the show.

The show however is a scream, while in the same breath the most offensive statement publicly made about the LDS Church.  Now you know why I'm going to hell.  Yet, while the title suggests Mormon, all religions were metaphorically in the firing line.  I find comedy in general in a musical.  The fact that a normal conversation can lead to people breaking into song, sometimes the same song with different words on completely different tangents - just like real life.   When you throw in a topic as touchy as the one here, hilarity ensues.

I'm glad that this show is such a success.  Over the years I have stopped watching South Park, but the creators have taken elements of their cartoon and created a great musical.  Well worth seeing (even if it means going to hell).

No comments:

Post a Comment