Friday, November 20, 2015

Willie Nelson & Devin Dawson @ Township Auditorium, Columbia, SC


This really was a last minute decision concert.  I waited until the afternoon of the show until I decided that I had the energy to drive down to Columbia and back to get my 2nd Willie show, and the first since Vegas in 2003.  Tried to have dinner with my nephew Mason, but he is out of town for the weekend.  I picked to Pawley's Front Porch, for a great burger and a beer, before getting back to the venue for 7.30pm start.

First show in Columbia means a new venue.  Found street parking about 3 blocks from the venue and really liked the layout of this 3,100 seat auditorium.  I was seated on the right of stage in the first level.  I usually can get good seats as a single, but this was great.  The seat next to me was vacant, due to it being a view obstructed by a support pole.

Had I known there was a support act, I would not have raced to the venue so early.  Devin Dawson is a young up and coming country artist, who was both humbled and excited to be opening for Willie Nelson (who wouldn't?).  But as someone who isn't really into the genre, I thought he sounded like (m)any other country artists.  His performance was enjoyed by his enthusiastic fans, and maybe a few new ones, but it wasn't for me.

Willie came on to a standing ovation, and deservedly so.  From the first strains of Whiskey River, for the next hour and a half, it was hit after hit from Nelson and his band.  Me and Paul, Crazy, Georgia On My Mind, Funny How Time Slips Away, Always On Mind, the list goes on.  Considering how little I listed to country music (I really have restricted myself to Nelson and Johnny Cash), it just amazes me how many great songs can come from one man.  Another highlight was the inclusion of family in the band.  A sister on piano, a percussionist son, and a guitar playing son, with one hell of a bluesman's voice.  

I definitely made the right decision to come to this show.  I was a little worried that he could never live up to that fantastic show I saw at the House of Blues in Vegas 6 months after we moved there. While this show didn't quite reach those heights, it wasn't far from it.  I don't think anyone who likes any type of music, could not like Willie Nelson, or one of his shows.  He is a true musician and a great showman.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 399th concert.
Township Auditorium is the 111th venue I've seen a concert.
Columbia is the 47th city I've seen a show in.
This is my 2nd concert in South Carolina.
This is my 207th concert in the USA.
Devin Dawson is the 472nd band I've seen.
This is my 2nd Willie Nelson concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment