Saturday, November 14, 2015

Stevie Wonder @ Time Warner Arena


Was it because Stevie Wonder was so coveted on my bucket list? I mean, it's Stevie Wonder!  Or was it because it was the most expensive concert I've been to?  That and a combination of song choice made tonight a little disappointing for me.

The night after the shootings at the Bataclan in Paris, saw entry into Time Warner Arena take a lot longer than usual.  Security was on edge, but very thorough.  That delayed that start of the show.  Stevie was guided on stage by a back up singer and then spoke, at length, of the horrors of last night before sitting down at his piano's to perform his 1976 Songs In The Key Of Life album from start to finish.  I am not too familiar with a lot of this album, but considering last night's events the aptly named Love's In The Need Of Love Today.  It wasn't until Sir Duke that the packed arena was on it's feet as a whole.  Great song!  While not familiar with Pastime Paradise, I didn't realize it was the basis of the 90's rap hit Gangsters' Paradise.  The rest of the set, though, was pretty mellow.  And not even the 30 piece backing band could energize the show.

Wonder took a break after 12 songs, and upon return again somewhat lectured the crowd for what seemed an eternity.  He did, however, launch into the awesome Isn't She Lovely, which was definitely the highlight of the night.  The rest of that set, again, mellowed out.  I'd of thought at a Stevie Wonder show I'd be on my feet all night, but this was definitely not the case.  The other great song of the second set was his solo cover of John Lennon's Imagine, dedicated to those who had lost lived in last night's France massacre.

While we had already seen 2 hours, it wasn't until the final encore that things finally started to perk up.  Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours had everyone up instantly.  Straight into Living For The City.  And while a noise curfew threatened to end the show, Wonder decided one more song had to be done.  Superstition was the high energy, fun song I expected would have filled the rest of the night.  Was so great to see and hear such an iconic song, done by its legendary writer.  Definitely the right way to finish the show.

When I think back about the time Wonder spent talking to the crowd before his two sets, as well as the need to highlight every band member individually (for God's sake there was 30 of them - I understand they're talented - they work for Stevie Wonder - but that's not who I want to see perform), I feel that hour, yes at least an hour doing these things, would have been better spent performing other great songs of his.  Where was Master Blaster? Lately? My Cherie Amour? Higher Ground? I'd have even settled for I Just Called To Say I Love You.  Not to say I' didn't have a good night, but it wasn't the mind blowing experience I had hyped myself up for. 

Stevie Wonder Setlist Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, NC, USA 2015, Songs in the Key of Life Performance


The Crap Facts:
This is my 398th concert.
This is my 4th concert at Time Warner Arena.
This is my 42nd concert in Charlotte.
This is my 47th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 206th concert in the USA.
Stevie Wonder is the 471st band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment