Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Whigs & Amigo @ The Visulite

Could this be the best show I see this year.  The very first show of the year has set a high standard if any band wants to better it.  The Whigs were fucking awesome!

Bonus start was to get there in support of Amy's cousin and see Amigo open.  It seemed like an odd pairing of bands, not of Fuck Buttons/Pixies proportions, but still the country rock twang of Amigo didn't really match the flat out rock of The Whigs.  Slade and the band held up there own and played a great 45 minute set.  They have a tour coming up that sees them take in SXSW in Austin.  Hope it all goes well.  Slade talked of wanting to record again, will be great to see them throw in some new songs into the set.

The Whigs hit the stage running.  I got to see them play an early arvo set at Riot Fest back in September and remember being impressed.  That show had nothing on tonight.  The Whigs hit the stage and played their four-on-the-floor flat out rock from the get go.  I'm still not familiar with song titles but the set played out with songs rocking harder as the night went on.  There were occasions after some songs, that Sanders, Mike and I looked at each other with jaws agape after some of the most incredible drumming I've ever seen.  A 2 song encore that included Friday Night and David Bowie's Rebel Rebel was a fantastic end to an amazing show.  

Glad I got to see them in a small, but disappointingly only half full venue.  It is a bit of a shame that rock is not as relevant in the music landscape as it used to be, because I truly believe that The Whigs would be one of the bigger bands around if that was the case.  It is a big call to say the 1st show of the year will be the best for 2015, but I can't wait to see someone top that.  When is the next nearby Whigs gig?

The Crap Facts:
This is my 383rd concert.
This is my 5th concert at The Visulite.
This is my 30th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 32nd concert in North Carolina.
This is my 191st concert in the USA.
This is the 3rd time I've seen Amigo.
This is the 2nd time I've seen The Whigs.
The Whigs are the 50th time I've seen a band in Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment