Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pearl Jam @ Time Warner Arena


So, somehow I've managed to go 22 years and not see this band because of my aversion to seeing shows in big arenas.  What a mistake!  It almost looked like I might not make tonight either as my father in law had taken a fall from a ladder, and Amy had to get down to Clover to take him home.  I ummed and ahhhed about tickets on Stub Hub up until 7.30pm and out of blue I checked Ticketmaster, only to find a ticket on the floor.  Decision made.  While it was in a seat on the floor, I still had a great view of the stage.

One of my reservations about seeing Pearl Jam now, is that I was a fan of Ten & Vs and really only knew a scattering of songs since then, so would I also enjoy the show?  I also wanted it to look like the Even Flow video, but both band and I are the wrong side of 40 so realistically that is never going to happen.

Things got off to a slow start - it's time to promote a new, unknown-to-me album.  But that all changed with Do The Evolution.  It livened up and things got good from here.  The new Lightning Bolt sounded great (much better than on Jimmy Fallon last week) as well as the punkish Mind Your Manners.  Even Flow, I swear, was played to get people some singing practice as Daughter was the next song and 12000 Charlotteans nearly out-sung Eddie Vedder.  They played Getaway for the first time live, and then ended the main set with a raging Rearviewmirror.

The start of the encore was pretty mellow, a couple of acoustic numbers, then Just Breathe.  Better Man was great but made me laugh - thinking of the time one-time friends played this during their wedding ceremony (Mate, are you sure you wanna use that song?  It goes "She lies and says she's in love with him.  Can't find a better man".  What do I know, 20 years later they're still together).  The encore finished with a blistering Porch.

Lights didn't go up, but a portion of the crowd started moving out.  Their loss.  There was still another 5 song 2nd encore to come.  Elderly Woman was a crowd favorite but nothing compared to Alive.  From the first spine-tingling chord the crowd was going nuts.  And they sung so loud.  And I had goosebumps.  And the band...you'd never know they'd been playing this song for more than 20 years.  I felt like it was their favorite song.  A great energy!  Although the venue tried to end it there but turning the lights on, Pearl Jam finished the night with a cover of Bob Dylan's Along The Watchtower.

Two and three quarter hours and 30 songs of pretty great rock.  A good night indeed.  Was also surprised by the amount of interaction the band had with the crowd.  Whether it be banter between songs, highlighting the Veterans in the audience, apologizing for a 10 year absence in Charlotte, giving out tambourines or celebrating their 2nd week with a number 1 album - I felt the band were humbled by the turn out.

My only regret - not seeing them sooner.

Pearl Jam Setlist Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, NC, USA 2013, Lightning Bolt

The Crap Facts:
This is my 368th concert.
This is my 2nd concert at Time Warner Arena.
This is my 19th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 20th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 176th concert in the USA.
Pearl Jam are the 435th band I've seen.
Pearl Jam are the 300th time I've seen a band in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment