Friday, August 19, 2011

Garth Brooks @ Encore



Never in a million years would I imagine going to a Garth Brooks concert – but tickets were free and people ask me about it all the time at work – so I’ll try anything once. I sat in the last row of the balcony (as far away as you can get) but still wasn’t too disappointed with the view, though I may have been if I’d paid for the ticket.

I will preface the story saying I know not a Garth Brooks song (or so I thought). I had to ask colleagues about him and was told his big hit was “I Got Friends In Low Places”. That tells me nothing! He came out on stage dressed like he had just finished fixing his car, not the big cowboy hat and nice outfit that you see in all the pictures of him, but jeans and a baseball cap – and he had a story to tell. The show started with a song I actually did know (not because of him, but because a Me First & The Gimme Gimmes cover) “Much Too Young To Feel This Damn Old”. From there he told the story of his career, life and family and played songs that influenced his life. Whether it was George Jones, Elton John, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, James Taylor or whoever, each song was well appreciated by me and the audience. Each cover was a revelation as to how playing in bars, honkytonks, clubs lead him to the success he enjoys today. Songs were scattered between great tales of growing up in Oklahoma , playing shows and meeting his idols (amongst other things).

It was over an hour before he played one of his own songs again – and that is when the crowd went really wild. My interest then changed to his stories and watching the audience have a blast. It was great fun! After nearly 2 hours, he then stopped and asked the audience to share experiences and make requests – and he knew every show they talked about and graciously played anything they asked for.

To finish the night he told about how he always wanted to write and anthem – like Piano Man or Wonderwall – and trust me he has. He didn’t need to sing as the audience got up on their feet and belted out “I Got Friends In Low Places”. It was a magic way to end a fun night.

Afterwards I read a lot of reviews from his fans that were disappointed that it wasn’t his regular big production (with a band and all the trimmings). Maybe it was good that I didn’t know of him, as I am now a fan.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 319th concert.
This is my 1st concert at Encore.
Encore is the 87th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 115th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 115th concert in Nevada.
This is my 127th concert in the USA.
Garth Brooks is the 386th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment